Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does creating a clone via Automation not produce a "clones" Link between the 2 issues?

I semi-successfully automatically clone my issues on a daily, weekly or monthly basis - depending on whether the issue has a "dailyrepeating", "weeklyrepeating" and "monthlyrepeating" Label.

The problem I have is that there is no "clones"/"is cloned by" Link created by Jira/Automation.  This seems like BUG  (I would like it to work like any other clone action).   IS THIS A BUG or a FEATURE?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2020

HI @Rodney Dsouza _Atlassian Certified Expert_, assuming you're using the Clone issue action, this action will not clone issue links, comments or attachments by design. You can set additional fields, including linked issues, along with other parameters as you see fit. Have a look at the automation actions docs:

I hope that helps,

IL.

Thanks much for your answer.    Looking at the documentation for the clone automation it does say it is not a true clone.

By the way "this action will not clone issue links, comments or attachments by design" - I checked just now and there built-in clone also does not clone comments or attachments, so only issue links are missing from those 3.  Of course, there could be other differences too.  I am just documenting here for whoever has the same question as me in the future.

To create a Link between the 2 issues, I believe the only way to do that in Automation is to create a new 'Link Issues' Action and set the set the reference issue to 'Most recently created issue'  (and not 'Trigger issue').   Trying to set fields for linked issues will not meet the intent of setting the correct issue link since I think it would be just like copying any links on the original issue (nothing to do with the current cloning action).

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 2, 2020

If your use case is not possible with Jira Automation, you can also have a look at our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

• You can automatically trigger clones by creating a post-function
  • You're flexible to decide whether you want to create a "is cloned by/clones" issue link when cloning.

deep-clone-jira_add-issue-link.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events