Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Issue Is Mentioned in {{issue.description.body}} add as Linked Issue = Related

Vincent Lucero May 19, 2022

Context

I'd like to improve visibility across related issues by automatically associating them with one another when referenced in either comments OR description body.

Acceptance Criteria
When Issue Is Mentioned in {{issue.description.body}} add as Linked Issue = Related

Example solution in bottom image for solving this when {{comment.body}} contains regex as provided by Jira Cloud default template, but when I attempt to update this, JIRA restricts me to only link issues based on "Trigger Issue" or "Most recently created issue"

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.57.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.55.44 AM.png

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Vincent Lucero 

To use the Link Issues action to a smart value expression, type (or paste) the expression in the field and it will appear below the field.  When finished typing/pasting, select the value below the field and it will be used.

This works for many of the actions which have a drop-down list of options for a target issue.

When you expect more than one issue to link, instead use the branching technique that Mark describes.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Vincent Lucero - You could do something like this:

• Create a variable to capture the key referenced in the description
  • Branch by JQL
    • key = {{yourvariable}}
    • Link to trigger issue
Vincent Lucero August 24, 2022

@Mark Segall do you have an example of how to define variables in JIRA automation for a use case like this?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Hi @Vincent Lucero - Taking a step back on this one.  I think @Bill Sheboy has the correct answer for this.  You should be able to set a smart value in your link.  What does the audit log show for your rule?

Vincent Lucero August 25, 2022

I never implemented this rule since it wouldn’t allow me to select anything other the “trigger issue” or “last created”

I don’t know how to dynamically pass the value representing the Regex response of the mentioned ticket that triggered the automation in the first place. 

Goal is to associate mentioned tickets in comments. 

Vincent Lucero August 30, 2022

@Mark Segall @Bill Sheboy any ideas on how I could proceed? 🙏

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2022

Hi, Vincent.  Did you see this part of my response, describing how to use smart values for links?

To use the Link Issues action to a smart value expression, type (or paste) the expression in the field and it will appear below the field.  When finished typing/pasting, select the value below the field and it will be used.

Vincent Lucero August 31, 2022

@Bill Sheboy Yes, the issue is that "Link Issues" as a new action does not accept smart values for me. I only can choose Trigger issue and Most recently created issue from the drop down.

Is there something I need to do to activate "Smart Values" as an option in this action?

Note that smart values are mentioned in the text below the dropdown AND shown in the built in "Link issue based on comment.body", so I believe you it is possible... But somehow disabled?

See screenshots:

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 8.59.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 9.29.11 AM.png

Vincent Lucero August 31, 2022

Figured it out... If anyone else encounters this see:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-use-smart-value-in-issue-link/qaq-p/1476480

In short, poor UI and you can just begin typing while dropdown is selected.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events