Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sum Story Points in Epic in Jira Automation Data Center

Abby Domanowski November 4, 2021

Hi,

Does anyone have a solution for summing up story points using Jira Automation Data Center? I know there is a solution in the Cloud version using the Lookup Issues action in the rule, but without that action available in Data Center, I'm not sure how to create an automation rule that works.

Goal: sum up story points at any child level and display in Story Points field in parent ticket. Most commonly, this would sum the story points of issues in an epic and display the sum value in the Story Points field on the epic, but ideally, we'd like to be able to push that up a level as well (sum the values on the epics and display on the parent feature, for example). But if we can only solve part of this, rolling up to the epic level is the first goal.

For reference, here is the solution in Cloud, which is not available in Data Center: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-do-you-sum-up-story-points-to-the-epic-using-jira-automation/qaq-p/1731595

Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2021

Hi @Abby Domanowski 

I posted a solution using Jira Data Center earlier this year which you can read in this thread 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2021

Hi @Abby Domanowski 

Yes, and...to Gareth's suggestion:

First thing, I am using Cloud version and so cannot test this...

Kind regards,
Bill

Abby Domanowski November 5, 2021

Thank you, @Gareth Cantrell and @Bill Sheboy - I will take another look at that and let you know if I have success. Thanks!

Abby Domanowski November 12, 2021

Hi @Gareth Cantrell - we recently upgraded to Jira 8.20.1 where personal access tokens can be created, and we're moving away from basic auth. Do you know how the web request auth header would need to be updated to work with a personal access token (generated within a user's profile in Jira)?

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2021

Hi @Abby Domanowski 

My suggestion would be to use a service account and create a PAT for that; you can then use the following header in your web request in place of the basic auth header:

Authorization: Bearer <yourToken>
Like Allison likes this
Allison December 2, 2022

Thank you for the suggestions, this works perfectly using Bearer <yourtoken>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events