Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set user in user picker field/watcher/assignee using email address

Luke Hawkins July 20, 2022

Hey,

I've been tirelessly Googling/searching to find a sane way of doing this with automations but keep drawing nothing.

I have an email address I am pulling from Salesforce and I want to set a watcher, assignee or even custom user picker field with the email I am pulling.

Does anyone have a sensible/logical way of how I can achieve this?

Many thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2022

@Luke Hawkins hi there. It depends where they want to set the watcher (in Jira for example). If you're open to exploring new ways for connecting the two systems, check out ZigiOps. It is a no-code tool that connects the two systems bi-directionally and keeps them synced. It can be tailored to fit various use cases.

In yours,  if the user with the same email exists in Jira (for example) and has the required permissions to be a watcher/assignee, ZigiOps can set the user in the user picker field/watcher/assignee using the email address. Feel free to look at it and book a demo to see it in action. 

Regards, Diana (ZigiWave)

Luke Hawkins July 26, 2022

That's great but so far when I've gone on your site I have to

1. Have a meeting to get a pricing of the product?
  2. Have a meeting to register a demo of the product?
  3. Have a meeting to create a trial of the product?

Attempted to use live chat to just quickly get online and interacting with the product to see if it does what I need it to do. No one available on the live chat, hey, let me book a meeting for you...

Booking meetings for every single process that could be automated (which is ironic for a company that focuses on automation) is not the way forward.

Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 27, 2022

@Luke Hawkins Hi there! Thanks for the feedback - we’ll keep it in mind. Let me give some input points on our side:

- We have a designated pricing page that states our product’s starting price. The pricing is based on the number of integrations, the use case, and the workflows, so this is why we have very short meetings with prospects to clarify what they want to achieve and give the correct price.

-We do encourage demo meetings since our team specifically prepares them for you and shows how the integrations work. If you want to see how our connector works without (or before) going to a demo, you can check out our youtube page.

-Since we’re in the EU, there is no agent for a live chat after these hours, sorry for the inconvenience.

0 votes
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

Hi,

A question for you. Is your email address for someone that has an account in your Jira instance? Or are these emails that aren't in your setup?

Just asking because it will help guide the possible answers from the community. 

Apologies, I should've specified, the email address/account is of an internal user within Salesforce and Jira. 

So, for instance, I am trying to set "Watchers" or "Assignee" or any other "User Picker" from the custom field {{issue.fields.customfield_10063}} that contains an email address of the internal user I want to set. 

Dan Tombs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2022

Hi @Luke Hawkins

You'll most likely have to user the account ID of the person. Meaning you will have to do an API call to get user X's account ID, then based on the results put this into the watcher field. 

Can you show some screenshots of what you have an I can clarify further.

Dan

I think you're onto something, the only thing is, can you call API functions in automations? But that also raises the risk of security issues and exposing api keys in automations.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2022

Hi @Luke Hawkins ,

Yes, you can call API functions through the Send Web Request action in Automation.

As you have already pointed out, it currently exposes the credentials in plain text, which is of course a risk.

There is a feature request to avoid exposing said credentials which I invite you all to vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22729

Here you can find an article about the Send Web Request action.

Hope it helps.

Luke Hawkins July 21, 2022

Yeah, I think I'm going to do this another way, using Salesforce Flows instead. So, I'll generate an API key and make the request against the email address in Salesforce and store it as I know that doesn't expose it in plaintext.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events