Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with automation on JIRA

azfar siddiqui April 5, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to setup automation on Jira between two issue types (Epic and Task). the automation is basically that when epic is transitioned to another state, task follows. The roadblock i have hit in this is that some of the transitions in workflow have validators that check for certain fields to be filled in (such as comment, target date) etc using transitioning screens.

Now the automation fails at these transitioning's because i cannot use automation to copy over these fields onto transitioning screen(from epic). Is there any other way to work around this? please let me know  

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Hi @azfar siddiqui 

If you have the data to set the Task's fields (possible from the Epic) prior to the transition you can set them with the automation.

Please post an image of your rule and the audit log from the rule execution if you are still having difficulties.  That will help the community provide you ideas to try.

Best regards,

Bill

azfar siddiqui April 5, 2021

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, we will have the option to fill out those fields from Epic as it will follow the same workflow but i dont see a way of copying that data from automation. 

Attaching the screenshots of automation rule, and audit log.

jira.PNG

Audit log

jira 2.PNG

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Thanks for that information.  

After your branch starts, and before the Transition, you can edit the Task and choose to copy fields from the Trigger Issue.

To do so, after you select a field to edit, select the ... menu at the right, and then Copy From, and Current Issue (which is the triggering issue).

azfar siddiqui April 6, 2021

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply,  i cannot find "comment field" that i can use to copy from. That is one of the fields required to transition to next step. any way around this?

Thanks for your help with this matter.jira 4.PNG

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2021

Commenting on an issue is a separate action from edit.  Perhaps try to add that Comment action inside of the branch, and you may add the value from the trigger issue's comment.  Unfortunately this method will not preserve the original author, but you could add that to the comment.

Comment from {{triggerIssue.comment.last.author.displayName}} 
Created: {{triggerIssue.comment.last.created.jiraDate}}
{{triggerIssue.comment.last.body}}
Like azfar siddiqui likes this
azfar siddiqui April 6, 2021

Bingo! thanks Bill that worked like charm

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events