Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Confluence Page created by Jira Automation

Bill Tang July 8, 2022

Hi Community!

I just started playing around with the newish Automation feature of "Create Confluence Page".  I have a very simple rule where Issue Created > Create Confluence Page.  Ideally, I'd like to have the automation update the trigger issue with the generated Confluence page, via link in comment or any other linking methods.  This would normally be a very simple task to achieve if I was linking a Jira issue, but I'm not finding ways to link the newly created Confluence page.  

Please let me know if I've overlooked something or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2022

Unfortunately the ability to link the Confluence page is not available via automation. Yet anyway. Your best option out of the box would be to add a link on the Confluence page back to the Jira issue.

Bill Tang July 11, 2022

Hey Jack,

Indeed, it is unfortunate. But the silver lining is that Automation is taking steps in the right direction.

Thanks for your confirmation!

Like Michael Thomas likes this
Sara Tucker September 7, 2022

Is is possible to automate adding a link to the triggered jira issue on the confluence page that is created?

Like Matt Baillargeon likes this
1 vote
Armin Meyer _Seibert - Coderay_ November 15, 2023

We developed an App called AutoPage that covers this. 

Autopage automates rule based page creation from Jira issues and sets a link between Jira and Confluence automatically. Beside of this you can use templates for the page creation that contain the definition which information from the Jira issue should be shown in the created Confluence page.

The app is fully integrated with Jira automation. So you can use the full power of automation with it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2023

@Armin Meyer _Seibert - Coderay_ , please review the Community guidelines for marketplace vendors here. You should update your username to reflect that you are a marketplace vendor.

Armin Meyer _Seibert - Coderay_ November 16, 2023

@Jack Brickey sorry, didn't want to break the guidelines, therefore I just started my post with the information, that we are the developers of the app. I updated my username to emphasize this and hope it's good to go :)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
MarielleH August 8, 2023

I faced the same problem: using the "basic" Edit was not saving the {{createdPage.url}} value in my custom field. I tried different things, moving the step, saving the value in an intermediate variable, etc ... nope, no result. Also tried to save the created page in the OOTB link value with no success either.

So I clicked on the "More Options" and pasted the proper json code: then it worked:

chrome_xrLvNN7kqA.png

I hope this will help.

meefong_siew November 9, 2023

Hi. i am trying on this but it seem not working for my case.

Wonder what is "customfield_10047" . how can i check the field name for the Confluence Link in Jira issue ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

Hi @meefong_siew , Marie was adding the link into a custom field. So you would create a custom field and then find the field's ID from the URL when editing the field. Use that ID in the advanced rule as illustrated.

Like meefong_siew likes this
meefong_siew November 9, 2023

got it. Thank you

0 votes
Mick Szucs September 15, 2022

It's possible that this feature was added since you asked the question, but using the Create page in Confluence automation action creates a  {{createdPage}} and  {{createdPages}} smart values, which can then be added to comments or fields.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like automation has (easy) access to the "Link Confluence Page" function which is accessed through the issue Action Menu, but it might be possible using Advanced Field Configuration or a call to the issue's editmeta.  

Mick Szucs September 15, 2022

To add to this, it looks like the Confluence Links on an issue are a "remote link" and these don't appear to be editable via the Advanced Field Configuration on the "Edit Issue" Automation action.

So to link a Confluence page to an issue with Automation, it will have to be using the "Send web request" Automation action to use the API against the issue itself.

Like # people like this
dstewart November 9, 2022

@Mick Szucs , thank you for providing this!  It's very interesting to me and I'd like to try something similar.  Would you mind providing an example of what that Send web request would look like?  It would help me greatly.

Mick Szucs November 14, 2022

It's not something I've taken the time to build.  My current use-case occurs rarely enough that I'm able to get away with just providing instructions on how to link the page to the issue manually.

If I come back around to it I'll update this thread.

Saira August 10, 2023

So what was found about this? How can we add a link to the wiki page generated generated via the web service macro? how do you get the response from the API and retrieve the link to the generated wiki page? There really does not seem to be a way to do it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events