Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automation: Auto-assign

Mark Saluta March 7, 2022

We have a few custom fields: 

1. Dev Resource
  2. Reviewer

During Planning, we assign developers and reviewers to tickets in those fields.

When an issue moves from To Do to In Progress, I would like the automation to put the value contained in Dev Resource into the Assignee field, and the same for the Reviewer.

Starting out, I've got:

When: Issue transitioned FROM To Do TO In Progress

Then: Edit issue fields Assignee

Unfortunately, I have lists of users, Copy from parent/child options, but no way to actually map the Dev Resource field to the Assignee, same for Reviewer.  Am I missing a step? I'd also like to do the reverse. If something goes back from Review to In Progress, it should be assigned back to whoever was the Dev resource.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

Configuring the Edit Issue action like this should do what you need:

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.08.18 PM.png

Thank you for the reply, that worked great for assigning the developer to the Assignee, however, when I attempt to do the reviewer, I'm only able to see the following fields from which to copy from, and do not see a Reviewer field listed: 

JiraAutomation.png

I may have discovered the issue. The other fields are all of the Type User Picker (single user). When Reviewer was set up, it was set as User Picker (multiple users). Which I would imagine would not be a valid Type for something like Assignee, which can only have one user. Now I'm trying to figure out how to change it to single user.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

If there is already data in your existing Reviewer field, you'd probably want to:

• Rename the field something like MultiReviewers
  • Create a new field called Reviewer
  • Bulk copy values from MultiReviewers fields to Reviewer
    (Hopefully nobody chose multiple reviewers?)
    (Details in post after this on using CSV export/import.)
  • Delete MultiReviewers field.

If there is *not* data in the existing Reviewer field, you have to delete it and then recreate it.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events