Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to update a confluence page using Jira Automation?

Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2020

Hi, 

I'd like to be able to update a text value on confluence page using Jira Automation, is this possible? 

Use cases: 

• Reporting
  • Release Notes

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2020

Hi @Tom Williams 

Not at the moment. We will look into this in the future but we don't have a roadmap or timelines at this stage.

We have a public ticket tracking this: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-269

Regards,
John

1 vote
Hendrik Winter April 1, 2021

Hi @Tom Williams ,

I have already commented in Ryan Davis' response:

One way to connect Jira Automation with Confluence is to use the plugin mailto.wiki - Send Emails to Confluence.

The thing is, it always creates new pages. Changing values on an existing page is not possible. Hopefully, it will still help you.

If you are interested in this solution I have published a detailed blog post on this topic here:

Create Confluence Pages/Posts with Jira Automation

Cheers

Hendrik

0 votes
Ryan Davis November 5, 2020

@John 

We are using Jira and Confluence together to track and manage blog creation and publishing for a website.

Right now we create Jira issues to track each article from Idea -> Author Assign -> Draft -> Review -> Publish.

We also use Confluence to manage the actual blog content from draft to review to publish on Wordpress.  Atlassian has a great article on blog creation management using Confluence and Jira for their own internal blogs, which is what inspired us.

Right now we have to manually create a Confluence page for each new Jira blog tracking issue, and manually create the link between page<->issue.  (do this with a /jira link embed in the confluence page)

I'm surprised there is "huge demand" for automation like this.

Or maybe our approach is not efficient to begin with, is there a better way I'm not seeing?

I just made this same comment on an older (2018) question before I found this more recent question / answer, link to the old one:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Can-I-create-a-Confluence-page-with-an-Automation-for-Jira-Rule/qaq-p/965680#U1525861

John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2020

Hi @Ryan Davis ,

Thanks for giving some context to your workflow! At this stage I'm not aware of any native functionality that allows you to create a Confluence page automatically from Jira (however there may be a solution from a third party developer on the Atlassian Marketplace).

We are actively looking into this but are still in early stages of design and scoping. There are also a number of technical hurdles for us to overcome. Again I don't have a timeline to share because we are still at such an early stage.

Thanks,

John

Hendrik Winter April 1, 2021

Hey @Ryan Davis ,

One way to connect Jira Automation with Confluence is to use the plugin mailto.wiki - Send Emails to Confluence. Jira Automation can send emails as action and mailto.wiki can convert emails into Confluence pages/posts. This allows you to automatically create confluence pages when you create Jira blog tracking issues.

If you are interested in this solution I have published a detailed blog post on this topic here:

Create Confluence Pages/Posts with Jira Automation

mailto.wiki is currently only available as a cloud plugin. However, at the end of April 2021, we will also release a server version.

Cheers

Hendrik

Agnieszka Cichocka June 23, 2021
0 votes
W Bot July 20, 2020

As someone who uses AFJ every hour of the day, I also have this use case.  In the meantime, I am using the plugin:  ARN  (Automated Release Notes) for some of this functionality.  Works on cloud.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events