Can I create a Confluence page with an Automation for Jira Rule?

Deiser Service Team December 19, 2018

Hello,

I would love to automate the creation of a Confluence page when a certain type of issue is created.
Uses of this:

Automatically create that an issue needs a meeting.

Create a page where the resolution of a problem/incident has to be detailed

Create a page to write why there is a dependency.

9 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2018

Hi,

We don't currently have any integrations with Confluence. We haven't seen a huge demand for this yet and are tracking this at: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-269

Though interest is building and we will monitor this.

Cheers,

Nick [Automation for Jira]
Co-Founder

Firas Amer October 27, 2019

Hi Nick, 

I can't vote for the above feature request. It would be awesome if a Confluence page (with a tech design template) could be created based on the opening of a specific story. 

Thanks, 

Judit

Like # people like this
Ryan Davis November 5, 2020

@Nick Menere 

We are using Jira and Confluence together to track and manage blog creation and publishing for a website.

Right now we create Jira issues to track each article from Idea -> Author Assign -> Draft -> Review -> Publish.

We also use Confluence to manage the actual blog content from draft to review to publish on Wordpress.  Atlassian has a great article on blog creation management using Confluence and Jira for their own internal blogs, which is what inspired us.

Right now we have to manually create a Confluence page for each new Jira blog tracking issue, and manually create the link between page<->issue.  (do this with a /jira link embed in the confluence page)

I'm surprised there is "huge demand" for automation like this.

Or maybe our approach is not efficient to begin with, is there a better way I'm not seeing?

Like # people like this
Andrew.Griffith January 11, 2022

This feature would be really useful for our teams also, when we create a New Version in Jira it would be great to have automation that would create a confluence page under a defined tree structure (which we use for publishing release notes) 

Like # people like this
Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Andrew.Griffith 

This is easily possible with our app Automated release notes for Jira. The app is available for cloud as well as on-prem Jira.

PS - I am the product owner of this app.

Best,

Anand

Like # people like this
Martin Hilbig [team neusta] April 3, 2022

This is specualtion on my part, but a possible reason why such feature requests dont see "huge demand" is because of how this whole process works. I have two or three clients out of about 40 whose IT staff would actually seek out such issue trackers and community forums.

In the majority cases, if a feature is not available (or only for a premium because it has been outsourced to paid 3rd party vendors) they will either just tolerate it or seek an alternative product to cover requirements.

pretty much *every* of my clients does some kind of jira/conf integration and creates conf pages from issues, and expects it as a possibility to do so automatically to some degree.

We are currently implementing this using the web request action from Jira Automation, as outlined in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/create-confluence-pages-from-jira-using-automation-1041826324.html but it is cumbersome and tedious.

A tighter integration with easy access to templates is something that is badly needed ASAP though.

Like # people like this
Martin Hilbig [team neusta] April 3, 2022

Also just noticed an Aatlassian blog post from a year ago that begins with the following paragraph:

"One of the questions I've seen frequently is how can you use native Jira automation to create a Confluence page and link it to a Jira ticket. It's something that I was struggling with myself; we had a requirement from a new team to automatically create a new Confluence page for every story that is created."

I hope that after 5 years, we will see this finally implemented with Automation for Confluence getting into EAP. 

Like Leif Park likes this
17 votes
Dimitar Dimitrov August 26, 2019

Voting for an integration with Confluence here:) Would be awesome if you could create a Confluence page / from template from an A4J rule.

Umar Sheikh September 13, 2019

Agreed - we would love a Confluence page created when an issue is transitioned!!!

Like # people like this
6 votes
Cyrus Theophilos Grimes December 17, 2020

you can create a confluence page using "send web request"

2020-12-17 12_43_21-Window.png

a trick I found it that you cannot have carriage returns in "Your Text", for the storage method of creating text, the "representation" must be "storage"

{
"title": "what ever you want",
"type": "page",
"space": { "key": "Some existing confluence space" },
"status": "current",
"body": {"storage": {"value": "Your Text","representation": "storage"}}
}

helpful links:

The Confluence Cloud REST API (atlassian.com)

Basic auth for REST APIs (atlassian.com)

Mahima Srivastav January 18, 2021

Hi, Can you update your code to show how I can create a page with an existing template?

Like Matthias likes this
Cyrus Theophilos Grimes January 19, 2021

I don't know anything specifically, but I would fill in the desired template with dummy data, and look at the source format to get how to construct the page, and fill in the bits with the variables you want. just be careful about Carriage returns

don't do this

"text text text

text text"

do this

"text text text" &

"text text"

source detail.png

Mahima Srivastav January 19, 2021

I don't have any coding knowledge so I was hoping if the code can be updated like this so I can get the template into the page that is being created

Also I wanted the title to be generated based on the Issue Number of the Issue based on which this page is being generated

{
"title": "what ever you want" + "Issue Number",
"type": "page",
"space": { "key": "Some existing confluence space" },
"status": "current",
"body": {"storage": {"value": "Your Text","representation": "storage"}}
"template": {"whatever template"}
}
2 votes
Melanie Geffre October 6, 2021

Hi ! We recently released Publish to confluence which allows you to create pages from issues or via post functions. We are not currently keeping sync between issues and pages (it's in the pipe), but maybe it will answer your needs.

Feel free to contact if you have questions !

Melanie GEFFRE, developer at Elements

2 votes
Hendrik Winter March 31, 2021

Hello all,

One way to connect Jira Automation with Confluence is to use the plugin mailto.wiki - Send Emails to Confluence. Jira Automation can send emails as action and mailto.wiki can convert emails into Confluence pages/posts. This allows you to take advantage of Jira Automation and Confluence, e.g. weekly release status reports, automatically create notes for a certain issue types, etc...

If you are interested in this solution I have published a detailed blog post on this topic here:

Create Confluence Pages/Posts with Jira Automation

Cheers

Hendrik

2 votes
Hrvoje Bosnjak May 25, 2020

how is voting possible? 

1 vote
Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2022

Hi all! To better support this use case, we've recently introduced a new "Create Confluence page" action to Automation - you can read more about this here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/use-jira-automation-with-confluence/ 

Martin Hilbig [team neusta] July 11, 2022

Hey Charlie, 

any documentation how I would call smart values like {{issue.summary}} in this?

I can already create a page based on a trigger using Automation for Confluence, but I still cant find no documentation as to how to insert field values from said Jira issue into the resulting Confluence Page.

This new feature allows me to specify a template, but I still cant see how to implement Jira issue data into that template.

This feature is essential to the documentation process and was realized in Server using a plugin that is not available for Cloud, and now, post-migration, it is one of the many things we find out to not work as intended/promised.

Like # people like this
Mike Hayes August 17, 2022

@Charlie Gavey - I have the same issue as @Martin Hilbig , create a "blank" confluence page isn't super useful. I want to populate the page with issues-specific info like Summary, Description, etc. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Like Özge Kavas likes this
Özge Kavas September 6, 2022

Hi @Charlie Gavey and all, actually now there is a template field in the automation, but it's not possible to select a template because the dropdown menu is consistently showing that no templates found. I think it's still in work in progress for this action, but when can we use this function fully? 

As a note, the integration between Confluence and Jira as well as all the permissions are in order, so this is not about them.

1 vote
sean December 17, 2020

I agree with this feature request.

0 votes
Peter Körner March 17, 2021

Hi!

We have a Plugin just for that, it's named AutoPage and allows you to create and maintain Confluence-Pages from your Jira-Issues, keeping them in Sync. Pages are created from a Template-Page in Confluence and we do support Placeholders in this Page to reference all of your Issues' fields.

The Plugin is often used for textual Documentation (Sprint-Documentation, Retrospective-Documents, Featuere-Documentation-Pages) automatically from your Jira Issues.

Give it a try and let us know, if you miss anything.

Peter Körner,
Developer at //SEIBERT/MEDIA

Livia Bochicchio March 29, 2021

Is the Plugin for the Cloud version?

Thanks,

Livia

Like Mahima Srivastav likes this
Alex Bernardin April 28, 2021

there does not appear to be a cloud version

Henry Burkhardt May 4, 2021

No Cloud version :( 

vbuttigieg June 6, 2021

no cloud version :(

Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2022

Hello all,

You can look at our app Automated release notes for Jira

it is available for cloud as well as on-prem Jira. And it does more than the release notes.

PS - I am the product owner of this app.

Best,

Anand

Like Leif Park likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events