Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to find A4J rules by a specific actor?

Thiemo Hiecke June 16, 2021

I have found by chance an Automation 4 Jira (Server) rule that does not have our technical user as actor, but a (former) employee (user deactivated).

Is there a way to find rules by a specific actor or - better - NOT having our technical user as actor?

Solutions including searches in the Jira DB are fine, too! :-)

Thanks

Thiemo

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Thiemo Hiecke -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I do not believe that is possible yet, based upon this suggestion: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76835

One work-around would be to export all rules to JSON, and then search the results for what you need to know.  We did that to find use of certain custom fields and other things.

Best regards,

Bill

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

Re: JSON, I've had to do this very thing. So there's a very powerful tool called jq that parses JSON and lets you filter/format it however you like.

But for something like this, I just used its rudimentary "prettifying" feature, and then combined it with good old egrep:

jq . automation-rules-202008312215.json | egrep '^ "name":|username'

So, jq . takes the unformatted JSON export of all rules, and formats it all pretty, with one attribute per line, indented nicely.

Then egrep searches for lines that start with: [4 spaces]"name":

OR contain: username (you would replace this with the username you're searching for)

You should then end up with a list of EVERY rule, and if the username shows up anywhere in that rule, it will be listed after that rule, so like:

"name": "Auto assign on transition"
  "name": "Balance support load for team",
    "value": "johndoe"
  "name": "Offboarding - Sub Tickets Creation",
Like # people like this
Thiemo Hiecke June 17, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy and @Darryl Lee

thanks for your replies! Exporting to JSON is really a good workaround with some more potential for administrating rules. And I will definitely take a look at jq.

Kind regards,

Thiemo

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events