Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to use automation to sum up in EPIC the hours logged in child tickets ?

Edited

Hello all !

I'd like to do exactly what the title says.

So according to the details from this article https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/How-to-sum-up-logged-hours-using-automation-in-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/1409115

I've set up the rule below:

Sans titre.png

But in "Audit Log" I got error below :

• Log work
    • Error trying to log work against an issue
    • Worklog must not be null., You must indicate the time spent working. (timeLogged)

Then I've tried the to set up the rule below

Capture d’écran 2022-02-24 100046.png

But I've the same error.

Do you happen to have an idea of the problem ?

Thanks a million in advance for your help !

Pierre.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl Community Leader Feb 24, 2022

Hi @Pierre Allard ,

As the article mentioned in your question already points out: it´s not that straight forward with epics. Issues within an epic can not be pointed at directly via "child" connection.

In case it´s about stories/issues directly in an epic I solved this with a "lookup issues action" in between --> see screenshot

image.png

Please let me know if this helps.

Best
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Here's what I did in my rule and that works very well ! :)

Capture d’écran 2022-02-24 161439.png

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best.

Pierre.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl Community Leader Feb 24, 2022

You are welcome @Pierre Allard 

Please be so kind and accept the answer in order to this question appears solved which helps other users in need for the same information find that solution more easily ;)

Best
Stefan

@Pierre Allard 

Can you please let me know what you wrote in the Date started field?

Thanks,

Brinda

Screenshot 2022-07-14 145142.png

@Pierre Allard Have you come across the issue of the automation double counting time spent entries?

For example, if I enter 1h of work on a task within an epic, the epic will show 1h. However, if I enter another 1h of work on that same task or another task within the epic, the epic shows 3h. Which makes me believe it counts the previous entries every time.

@Brellison Running into the same issue here. Every time the automation runs, instead of 'over-writing', it adds a new worklog to the previous one hence adding to the previous value.

One workaround would be to delete the previous worklog on epic level before running the rule.

Hi @Brellison @Sehreen Jafry

You're right, I've faced the same problem. But it seems that automation rule cannot delete worklogs...

@Pierre Allard 
Yeah so I ended up just manually deleted the previous worklog before running this particular automation rule.

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment, till there can be a way to delete the worklog via automation first and then run the automation to sum up the logged hours and save on the EPIC level.

Since the work log, IS a rolling work log and you can't delete existing entries through automation, the answer is to check if the sum of the timespent in the exisiting  entries in the EPIC log equate to the sum of the timespent on all the child tasks before adding a new entry to the EPIC.  If the time spent on the EPIC is less than the time spent on all the child tasks, add a new entry to the epic with the difference:

JiraUpdateEPICTimeSpent.png

Like # people like this

Nice work @Hugh Lampert!

I would only divide by 3600 instead of 60, I think you're maybe logging in minutes when they should be in hours. I can't tell if that's how it should work for you because I use Tempo Timesheets, so I just changed this and it worked very well.

Like Dave Rosenlund _Tempo_ likes this

Thank you very much @Hugh Lampert , that works very well ! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events