Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update sum of Estimate on Parent when sub-task MOVED into (parent change) ?

Dan H February 19, 2021

Hello,

So I have already rules setup in place for when an sub-task issue is created/edited/deleted, and these work perfectly. Here's one example below:

SumEstimateParent.jpg

However the only thing left is to get a rule working for when a sub-task is MOVED / changed to a different Parent issue, and to continue with updating Parent total Estimate based on Estimates from sub-tasks.

I've attempted using Parent Link from the Issue Updated trigger but unfortunately this does nothing.

So looking for an answer to help with this please : )

3 answers

1 vote
Sherry Goyal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hi @Dan H 

Thought this would work by using "Field value change" with "parent link" field but no luck(for non next gen).

I have taken it as a bug. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
Sherry

Dan H February 23, 2021

Thanks for investigating Sherry!

I hope you also don't mind me linking to another likely bug issue. You'll want to look at the last 2 comments on this post, which specifically talks about a bug issue found using the If/Else block condition (so ignore the original question posted);

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-do-I-specifically-use-Original-Estimate-for-Value-Changes/qaq-p/1591368

I just wasn't sure how to report and log a bug issue for this myself, so appreciate if you can also look into this one too.

Thank you kindly!

Dan

0 votes
Mariana Kyrova October 11, 2021

Hi Dan! Great job you did! :) Would you mind sharing your rule for deletion of a subtask? 

Dan H January 24, 2022

Hi Mariana,

Certainly, and apologies for the delay in this response - my email notifications were all off!

deleted.jpg

So the Rule does the following:

1. Trigger on Issue deleted
  2. Check if Issue is a 'sub-task' type (using JQL query)
  3. If so, then for Parent issue...
    1. First refresh or re-fetch the issue data
    2. Then update the Original Estimate field, using the following calculation:
{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.original estimate.sum}} / 3600{{/}}

Hope that is clear and helps! 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2021

Hi @Dan H 

Is this for a NextGen project?  If so, you may be running into this defect:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1987

The only work-around I can think of is to use a scheduled rule to periodically refresh all parent estimates for their current children. 

You could refine that work-around a bit by adding a custom field that has the LastParent, set on issue created, and only refresh estimates on schedule when the LastParent doesn't match the current one.  During the refresh, ensure to also update LastParent.

Best regards,

Bill

Dan H February 23, 2021

Hi Bill, thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing this issue with Classic project (I assume NextGen has the same then), and a member of the Atlassian team had commented above that it is likely to be a bug.

So I will just wait patiently for the fix in the meantime :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events