Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit Sprint name of a Jira story using Automation?

aman grewal March 28, 2023

How to edit Sprint name of a Jira story using Automation?

I would like to create a rule where once Story points field is populated for a Jira story it does 2 things.

1. It changes Status of story from in grooming to ready.

2. Automatically change the sprint, we use multiple sprint in our backlog named as In grooming and Ready, basically i want to change the Sprint from in grooming to ready.

while i can easily do the first part but not sure if Automation allows second part as when i try to do via editing the field and for Sprint field it only shows Active sprints as an option to be added where as the sprints that we use for in Grooming and Ready are inactive sprints.

my question is , is it possible to change the Sprint of a Jira Issue via automation to a Sprint which is inactive?

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi @aman grewal -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

An automation rule could use a web request to call the Jira REST API to edit the name of a sprint, provided you know the sprint id value.

However, I am unclear from your described scenario why you would do this.  You seem to describe a flow where stories are refined prior to planning, and potentially added to a sprint.  And you have multiple sprints set up in advance in the backlog to support that.  

What is the purpose of renaming a sprint based on refining the work items included in it?

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
aman grewal March 29, 2023

Thanks @Bill Sheboy I will try the  web request rule, I tried via JSON call but it failed stating "Error occurred setting field 'customfield_10004" error, I will do so more test on it today and update.

you are right we create sprint in advance and keep it this way, backlog then Ready for grooming and once grooming is done, we move it to a Ready Space from where these stories can be easily moved to a sprint, my idea was once we are in ready for grooming and story has story points added then it automatically moves to ready space where we have to manually move it now

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events