cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable jira users from jira automation

Jonathan Gonzalez October 15, 2020

Hi community, 

I think I was askinging in the wrong place about automations in Jira 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/How-to-give-access-to-user-management/qaq-p/1505145#U1507125

Basically, I don't know how to integrate automation in Jira with the option to disable users mentioned in the thread above. 

I will receive a main ticket about the departure employee which will trigger other sub-tickets, and I am wondering if one of those will be able to disable the account in Jira.

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2020

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not something that Automation for Jira supports. Whilst you could theoretically use outgoing webhook requests to do this, you would need to configure the rule to store the relevant credentials to authenticate the request in your rule configuration, as we don't provide the functionality to make webhook requests to Jira as an authenticated app request. This is strongly advised against.

Maybe have a look at Script Runner for Jira, and reach out to the community there. They may have a solution that will suit your problem.

Thanks

Jonathan Gonzalez October 19, 2020

Thank you Sam. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

Interesting Use case.....it probably can be done (via API) but is it the best way to go about it? 

How big is the company? how many of these requests do you get?

I can recommend using Atlassian access in conjunction with AD group membership to manage both on and off boarding of staff. but that does come with a cost and level of complexity. 

Will be interested to see what others suggest.

Jonathan Gonzalez October 16, 2020

The company has around 3000 users and maybe every month we have 10 or 20 offboarding but it depends I guess. The IT team is quite small ( only 4 ).

Onboarding it's generated with SSO but offboarding stay if we don't manually disable them. So we don't want to pay extra licenses for users who are not in the company anymore.

The main reason because I am looking for this solution is because there is no way to give access to user management only, to somebody. So we cannot delegate this task to one of our contractors because he will get full site access only for that small piece of administration.

Is there any way to trigger the API with a webhook through automation?

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2020

I think you would need some intermediary code to get such a trick to happen..... And you would want to test it for quality and security.

Sorry i can't be of more assistance, hopefully someone else can help you out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events