Automation for Jira - Server Plugin Closing out Parent task when creating Sub-task

lukec December 9, 2020

Pretty much what the title says. I have automation set up so that when a field value changes, a sub task for the issue in which the field was changed is created, and an email sent.

Both things happen as advertised, however the Parent issue for which the sub-task was created gets its Resolution put into Done. The Status is still In Progress, just the Resolution changes.

I don't see how to prevent this. Anyone else seen this? Have any ideas how to avoid it?

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
lukec December 10, 2020

Darryl you were right, had nothing to do with the automation. Nic had an answer in a different post... it was screen related. My mistake..

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Updating-custom-field-sets-resolution-to-Fixed/qaq-p/259241

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Interesting! Yeah, based on what you shared about Scriptrunner, I was going to ask if the behavior still manifest if you disabled the Automation.

Glad you found the fix. There's a reason Nic is a top-answerer!

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2020

Hi @lukec 

Have you checked your workflow to see if something else is setting the resolution?

What does the individual issue's log indicate about who/how the Resolution was set?

Best regards,

Bill

lukec December 9, 2020

Thanks @William Sheboy , 

The only transition that modifies the resolution is when it goes to the Done status, as a post function.

But using the automation for jira plugin, if the issue stays in To Do status, or In Progress status.. and does not transition thru the workflow, the resolution is still changed when that field value is modified (thereby kicking off the automation). 

The log shows that I marked it as Done, as seen below: 

Luke C made changes - 09/Dec/20 4:39 PM

Field Original Value                                            New Value
                                                     Product categorization Parent values:                                                                                   Security(13076)Level 1 values: Incidents(13162)
                                                     Resolution Done [ 8 ]

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Hrm, that log entry makes it look like Automation isn't involved at all. (If it was Automation editing the field, I think it would show up in a separate entry.)

Could it be a ScriptRunner Listener?

Like lukec likes this
lukec December 10, 2020

Thanks @Darryl Lee 

I looked at the ScriptRunner Listener (I only have one set up) it just looks for SSNs, this test issue I made doesn't have anything resembling a 9 digit number. Here's the log from the plugin:

image.png

So ticket 257 is the parent.. 258 is the sub task that was created, and shows up on the parent ticket. But 257's resolution gets marked as Done when it shouldn't. Again it doesn't even move through the workflow at this point. All I'm doing to activate this automation is change a field value. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events