cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Jira - Identify is a ticket exists or should be created

Adrienne McCoy April 19, 2021

Hello,

I am using Jira Server.

I need to create an automation where I create a ticket in one project, project A.

There will be an ID # on the ticket (which will a free text field).

I also need a ticket in project B. There are two scenarios:

1. A ticket in project B does already exists, in which the newly created ticket in project A will link to it - and it will recognize that it exists by the ID #.
  2. A ticket in project B does not already exist, in which automation for jira will create a new ticket in project B - recognizing that a ticket does not exist by using the ID #.

Is this possible?

I truly appreciate any help or direction!

Best,

Adrienne

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hi, may I just check I have your scenario right?

Are you saying you always need a ticket (with the same opportunity ID) in both Projects A and B? 

or

You need to have matching tickets in A and B only when an opportunity ID is present?

or....something else?

Another question. Is one project considered the master (where the content should be created)?

One issue perceive with using a free format field as the unique identifier for automation is; How will  this field be controlled? as people can put anything into it. This could lead to automation creating and or linking tickets and creating redundancy, confusion and overhead (to tidy up).

That said, this should be doable with automation. But the free format field as the unique ID at the centre of it.....worries me.

Adrienne McCoy April 19, 2021

Hi Curt!

Thank you for the response. 

I will always need a ticket with the same opportunity ID in both projects.

I just need a way to recognize if the ticket already exists or not when a new ticket is created in project A, and if it does not exist, create it.

If it does exist, link it to the ticket in project A.

Project A would be considered the master, where the content should always be created.

I'm hesitant to use a free text field as well, but since the opportunity ID numbers can be endless, I unfortunately can't use a context.

Thank you!

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

OK, cool. 

Final question; Why the two projects? wouldn't it be easier to run all Opportunities out of one project? Perhaps spread over multiple Boards/Teams/Components.

Anyway, have you tried what Bill suggested over here? Automation for Jira - Automation to link tickets w... (atlassian.com)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events