Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Jira - Automation to link tickets with same field value

Adrienne McCoy April 19, 2021

I'm looking to create an automation in two separate projects in which one field in project A has an allocated resource ID # (the field would not have a set context, as the ID #s could go on and on). 

Once I set the resource ID #, I would like to set up an automation to link it to another project ticket where the same field has the same allocated resource ID #.

Is this possible with automation? Can anyone give me a recommendation on where to start?

It is much appreciated!

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Hi @Adrienne McCoy 

Yes, this is possible.  Please note that for global / multi-project spanning automation rules, there are licensing limits on how many executions you can have per month.  These sources explain how that works for the different levels.  I cannot tell if you are on the Cloud or Server/Data version, so I'll assume Cloud for now.

Now, how would you do implement this...

• Create an automation rule triggered on a change to your reference ID # field
  • If there was a prior reference ID # value, you probably want to remove the existing linkage
  • Using Jira query language, JQL, search to find the matching issue with the reference ID #
  • Create the link

To help you get started, here are some example rules and documentation sources.  If you need more help, post an image of your rule and the community will help.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events