Any examples of summing up story points from stories to epics using {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}

Neil Wills July 6, 2021

I have been unable to get the following to work,

{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}} 
  • Story is the trigger when story points are changed 
  • Get the Parent Epic
  • Lookup the issues related to Epic - sum points using 
  • I see that the Epic is modified but set to none therefore it is not summing the values, and I believe this is because no stories issues are returned 
{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eli Solutions Team -Eli Solutions-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2021

@Neil Wills :

Take a look at this recent post as well.  It provides you with more rules to ensure that epics story points are updated when stories with story points get linked to an epic.

Link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-discussions/Jira-Automation-Complete-Video-Guides-on-how-to-Sum-Up-Story/td-p/1741948 

0 votes
Eduardo October 5, 2021

Hi. Can anyone help me determine how to update the "story points" and ¨preliminary estimate¨ fields in an epic without automation?

For example, the epic have several stories in accepted, in design, in progress, not designed status. Of these, which do I need to consider to add or subtract story points? 

Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2021

Hi @Eduardo -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What is your concern about making the updates without automation?

For your question about "which do I need to consider to add or subtract story points", that would be up to you, based upon what problem you are trying to solve by summing the values, and your choices about your workflow.  For example, do you want the measure to be of "total points in the children" or "completed points in the children", etc.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Eduardo likes this
Eduardo October 6, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy thank you!

I guess I´m trying to figure out how the Epic ended up with two story points if the preliminary estimate is ten SP. There are seven user stories that sum up 31 story points, so I think should subtract the Epic story points field but not sure what would be the right number there.

Three user stories are accepted, one is in progress, and three in designed status.

Thanks for following up,

Eduardo

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2021

Hi, Eduardo.

There is nothing built-in to automatically sum story points for an epic...that is something people add with automation, scripting, addons, or by manually summing up.  Please take a look a the epic's change history to determine how the points were added (that is, who did it).  That should point you toward where to look for the cause of the error you are seeing.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Eduardo likes this
Eduardo October 6, 2021

Understood

Thank you very much,

Eduardo

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2021
0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

Hi @Neil Wills 

Can you share a screenshot of your rule as well as any audit log entries to help the community try and assist you please?

What JQL are you using for your lookup issues action?

Neil Wills July 6, 2021

I was able to get the automation going using the following:

ruledefinition5-functional.JPG

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

Nice!!

Neil Wills August 5, 2021

This was working and now it seems that it may be summing he points for all stories and not just the points related to the epic.

Be forewarned as my rule updated all the epics and they have large story points.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2021

Hi @Neil Wills 

Has your rule changed or does the audit log show any other symptoms?  And perhaps consider posting an image of your current rule to see how the community can help.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events