Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding "Linked issue" automatically

Steffen Vester June 23, 2020

Hi community..

I recently started using Atlassians app "Automations for Jira", and I read a lot about it, read the user cases etc., but I can't figure out how to do this:

I want to create an automation that will add a specific "relates to" linked issue, to all new issues that matches my JQL.

So whenever a new Epic is created, in a certain project and with certain details, it should automatically link that new Epic to a specific issue, e.g. TST-1350.

I have attached the screendump that I'm working on, and in the description it says "You can link to the issue that triggered this rule, previously created issue, a smart-value or simply an issue key.". But as you can see in the dropdown (attached screendump), theres only the first two mentioned possibilities.

I also tried working with JSON, to see if I could get it to automatically add a linked issue to that certain issue I mention above. But I'm not into coding, so that didn't work out.

Can anyone help me with either how to selecting which issue key it should link to, or to write JSON code that does the trick?

Thanks in advance!

Automations for Jira.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2020

Hi @Steffen Vester I believe you should be able to simply type an issue key into that field. When you begin typing, the dropdown item will change from a pre-filled suggestion to "Create new {{issue key}}". 

Let me know here if that works out.

Also, if you're thinking that the "create new" label is a confusing, I agree. I'll look into getting that changed to something clearer. 

Steffen Vester June 29, 2020

@wwalser woooow thanks, that was easy. I didn't realise the field was an input field. I tried so many different things and methods, so yeah it could be clearer :)

Thanks a lot.

Like wwalser likes this
wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2020

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1979 Tracks the field label clarification.

Steffen Vester June 30, 2020

@wwalser perfect!

Now that I found an expert, can you tell me if it's possible to edit an existing "linked issue" value rather than creating a new one?

So if I in an automation rule that say when a new issue is created, allways link it to Issue A.

When the issue transitions to status "Done", then link to issue B instead. I don't want to create a second issue link, I want to edit the existing issue link to a new value.

Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance

wwalser
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2020

Instead of "editing" the issue link, you'll probably need to use two separate actions on the automation. One to delete the old link (A) and a second to create the new link (B).

Like Steffen Vester likes this
Steffen Vester July 1, 2020

Off course. Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events