Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request input from users when a Manual rule is triggered

62 comments

Andrea_Lawrence June 21, 2023

"You also have the option of accessing each input as a smart value in other actions and conditions."

What actions and conditions can the prompted input be used in? I've been able to use it with the "Send Email" action in the message body but I've been unable to use the prompt fields in any conditions.

Example - prompt includes dropdown select value

Condition - if dropdown value = A

Tom Hudgins June 21, 2023

Seems to work for me. I created this prompt for a dropdown value

image.png

Then I added an if/then block and tested the value.

image.png

And logged the value

image.png

and it seemed to work fine.

image.png

Like Andrea_Lawrence likes this
Scott Youchah
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2023

I attempted to use this new function to create a ticket in a sperate project and it worked.  I also thought that I would be good to give my users the summary line from the originating issue as the default value to work from. Do I assume that this default value screen does not interact with smart values? Otherwise maybe I've tried to implement it incorrectly. 

Screenshot 2023-06-22 133717.png

Like # people like this
Angela Salunga June 22, 2023

I have an automation rule that would ask for manual input but values should be selected from JQL query. How can this be done?

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2023

@Angela Salunga Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I feel like you could maybe get the values into Smart Values using the Automation for Jira - Send web request using Jira REST API trick, BUT I would bet that User Inputs probably does not support using Smart Values for the options.

OH, and nevermind because you can't have a web request run before the trigger, so ... that kind of removes that possibility.

I guess I'm going to say no then. Cool idea though.

Like John Funk likes this
Andrea_Lawrence July 7, 2023

It is indeed unfortunate that smartvalues cannot be used for default values in user input fields.

Like John Funk likes this
Rosa M Fossi July 11, 2023

Hello Team, Thank you for this addition...  It's a good enhancement, but as some stated, I would've expected access to existing fields (perhaps while configuring the "Prompt for Input" option in the automation, we could select the relevant Field Scheme?).  

Use case: We have a manual trigger to create issues in a Software project from the Service Management project. Right now, despite the automation, the user has to open the ticket and finish filling it out and make a few adjustments. 

Why not simply "create linked ticket" you ask? Because some of the information is being copied between non-matching fields between the two projects, some reporters in SM cannot be reporters in the Software projects, and we additionally summarize some of the content in desc, and automation takes care of adding some labels based on some criteria and adding comments to the trigger ticket.

Another useful input option is an user-picker that could be narrowed down by group. 

This new Prompt for Input option has already been useful, and I look forward to its growth!

Like # people like this
Ankur Patel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 2, 2023

I am still not able to use this feature in my jira instance. I am still using JIRA DC and I can't see the mentioned option.

Tom Hudgins August 2, 2023

@Ankur Patel this is a Cloud feature. Doubt they are going to be adding things like this to Jira DC.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2023

Great new feature! Thanks.

Julian from AF August 22, 2023

Hello! Is it available on Datacenter ? Thank you 

Like Kalin U likes this
Paul Collis September 27, 2023

Hi Community,

Am using this function in my automations, users are inputting notes which are being included in an email.  When they are using html tags this is making the email format nicely, however I've also set the flow to capture the notes in the comments section which then has the html tags rendering as text.  Is there any way that I can use something like the below but on these {{userInputs.smartValueName}} variables?

{{issue.summary.remove("<br>")}}

Thanks for any help.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023
Paul Collis September 27, 2023

@Darryl Lee That looked so promising!

The comment then didn't output any of the text from that field.  Will keep playing.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

@Paul Collis Drat. Yeah I should've tested. Trying to "clean" out HTML using replace is tricky.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2023

Hi, @Darryl Lee -- Most of the times I see a similar question related to stripping off some form of markup like  HTML, the eventual answer is: call a REST API function which can do that for you, outside of the rule and Jira.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

Hi @Paul Collis - Oh wait. Your users are inputting HTML? You need to tell them to STOP DOING THAT. 

I'm pretty sure putting HTML in any Jira field is going to cause you pain and suffering later.

I just put the following test data in a user input field of type Paragraph:

Here's the notes:

This is a note.

It has paragraphs.

* Bullet
* Really

_What about underlines?_

It's not "pretty", but it has line breaks (why are they inserting <br>s??) and the content is there.

But I guess what's more interesting is this is how it looked as a Comment:

This is a note.

It has paragraphs.

• Bullet
  • Really

What about underlines?

But yes, confirmed sadly that adding .text and .html to the smart values do NOT render plain text or HTML. Bummer. I guess we can file a feature request?

So, what have we learned?

• Paragraph fields will accept wiki markup.
  • The paragraph fields will render nicely as comments.
  • As email, they render as... markup.
Paul Collis September 28, 2023

Thanks @Darryl Lee

I'll heed your warning. 

The flow I've got takes user input and the puts that inside an email that is already HTML formatted.  So when they enter into the paragraph box, all the formatting is lost within the email but retained when it also saves it as a comment.

When they add HTML tags in their input, the email is then formatted as expected but the comment has the tags in it.  Lose lose situation really.

Lets see what the future may bring :-)

Andréas Johansson October 2, 2023

Is it possible to use smart values in the form? I want an automation that creates a new issue that is linked to the current issue (the one the automation is manually triggered on so to say). It would be great if the form the user gets could use smart values in the default values, such as the key/summary of the triggering issue.

Is this possible? I tried adding {{issue.key}} in the default value, but it did not work as I expected.

JammeTan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 11, 2023

What is the proper way to get the value a checkbox input field in an automation conditional?

Regardless of whether checkbox is checked by the user when triggering the automation, the checkbox smartvalue {{userInputs.checkboxValue}} returns as the name of the field, not whether it is checked or not. 

I tried using {{userINputs.checkboxValue.value}} and that seemed to break the automation as no other conditions were checked after that. 

Tom Hudgins October 12, 2023

Checkboxes work for me.

Here is my input definition

image.png

Here is where I log the value of the checkbox in my ruleimage.png

Here is the result when I don't check it

image.png

Here is the result when I do

image.png

Here's an if test of the value.

image.png

sarend
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 20, 2023

I'm trying to create an automation that creates a bug on a manual trigger. We require the originated environment field to be filled in when a bug is created so I want to use the user input smart value to fill in that field. I have duplicated all of the possible environment options in the user input field (with the exact text as the main field). I am pretty sure the smart value is the issue because it works when I use text of one of the environment options. Does anyone have suggestions for what I need to change here?

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 3.25.48 PM.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2023

Hi @sarend 

You seem to be using the update syntax for a multi-select field.  Is your environment field single or multi-select?  If it is single-select, perhaps try this:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10156": { "value" : "{{userInputs.OrgEnvInput}}" }
}
}

And also...please confirm that the value in your user input field exactly matches the name, spacing, and case of the value for your custom field.

Kind regards,
Bill

sarend
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 20, 2023

@Bill Sheboy My field was single select. Your change worked, thanks very much for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Ines B. October 31, 2023

will this be coming to Data Center too?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events