Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a component to an issue based on issue type

Joe Pursel August 2, 2021

One of the easiest ways to automate Jira to add a component to an issue is to create a project rule using Automation for Jira.

I created a rule for a project to add a specific component to a specific issue type when the issue is created in Jira.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 12.30.47 PM.png

In this use case, when the Project issue type is created in the Counsel Review project, the component, Experience Counsel, is automatically added to the issue. We also use the Component Watchers plugin which when the issue is created, an email message is sent by Jira to the Component Watchers, automatically notifying them of the creation of the issue for visibility.

This is a real time saver for the Component Watchers who monitor the Project issues in this project by not having to log in to Jira to check their dashboards to see if new issues have been created.

I also recommend that the actor be a service account and not any specific user to keep the rule creation not based on a single user.

I hope this rule sample helps you automate your Jira issues.

Joe

2 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 3, 2021

So well done @Joe Pursel !! This is a strong submission :) 

Like Joe Pursel likes this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2021

@Joe Pursel I love that you're using a service account for the Automation actor. In Cloud, this is the default (Automation for Jira has its own app user on Cloud) but on Server - yes - definitely set up a service account to run Automation rules. I like that yours is even somewhat scoped so it might even indicate which team to contact if there's a problem.

And for the lazy, I think the Component Watcher app mentioned is Watch It for Jira . 👀 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events