Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Insight: Migrating from Server to Cloud

Andrew Schaner November 14, 2020

Hello!

We love Insight, and we're thrilled to hear about Atlassian's purchase.

We have a lot of objects in our Insight Server that we want to import into Cloud. 

However, when we try to do CSV import, Insight Cloud assigns a new key. This isn't feasible for our situation because we're not going to spend the a)time and b)money mailing out new asset tags for physical equipment, or ship/tag/return the physical equipment.

Are there any plans to address this paradigm?

Thanks!

Andrew

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charlotte Nicolaou
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2020

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for highlighting this and I've flagged up Key attribute consistency with the Insight product team. 

We know that with the announcement about Jira Server that many people will be looking to do as you're doing and migrate. As we plan how Insight will be integrated into Jira Service Management we're considering all possible migration paths too. 

Thanks,

Charlotte

Andrew Schaner November 17, 2020

Hi @Charlotte Nicolaou , thanks for your response.

I really hope this is something that can be accommodated. 

It goes beyond the inconvenience of having to re-tag assets; many organizations set computer/server hostnames to the asset tag identifier, which has significant operational impacts if that has to be changed. 

Lluis Vegas April 19, 2021

@Charlotte Nicolaou

Do we have news for the progress? We need to migrate our Insight to Jira Cloud.

Like # people like this
Oto Machaladze June 26, 2023

Hi @Lluis Vegas ,

Please see my comment below.

3 votes
Oto Machaladze June 23, 2023

Greetings, @Andrew Schaner .

Assets (formerly Insight) object schemas can be moved from the server instance to the target Jira Cloud instance using the add-on Insight Assets Backup & Migration.

Read the article below for additional information.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-can-Assets-be-migrated-from-Jira-Data-Center-to-Cloud-or/td-p/2382324

The application's complete documentation is available here.

Please feel free to contact Twinit support if you have any additional questions or recommendations.

BR,

Oto

1 vote
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 15, 2020

As Insight is now an Atlassian product I am going to move this question to the "Migrations" home in hope that it will be seen by people who can help.

Andrew Schaner November 17, 2020

Thank you. @Kat Warner !

Andrey Suray March 10, 2021

Hi
Do you have a server-to-cloud migration guide to follow for the Insight - Asset Management add-on?

Like # people like this
Dylan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2021

Hi @Andrey Suray we don't have a tool to help move data from Server to Cloud at this point. The suggested workaround is as follows:

1. Export objects to CSV from “Insight - Asset Management app” (this has to be done at an object type level)
  2. In the new feature, create schema and create references, statuses & roles
  3. Import CSV/s of object data via import tab in schema configuration
  4. Create Insight custom fields (to replace Assets custom fields)
  5. Setup Jira automation rules (to replace post-functions and Insight object automation rules)
  6. Update values of Insight custom fields to include values of Assets fields (i.e. use bulk editing)

We're looking at how we can make steps 1-3 easier by provide export/import of asset schema easier. Please feel free to contact our Migration Support team if you need further help. 

Like # people like this
Phillip Reynolds July 6, 2021

I'm having trouble with the import steps and understanding the "predefined configuration" part.

Matt Budnyj March 2, 2022

Hi, thought it worth adding to this post for anyone else trying to use external system import to bulk update Insight fields during a cloud migration - the CSV field values for Insight custom fields need to be in the following format <WorkspaceID>:<ObjectKey>.

e.g. 

key, summary, insight
SANDBOX-2,this is my summary,dd4fe90e-752d-4103-8dad-abe7fd869b51:3

It isn't immediately clear from any documentation that this is the formatting required, the only thing I could find suggested that Label (Key) or Key should work but it doesn't. Note the : rather than a / which is what a CSV export chucks out at you. 

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

Thanks for sharing this tip, @Matt Budnyj ! This is going to be very useful for others looking to migrate Insight fields from Server to Cloud using CSV import.

0 votes
Jianhui Ho September 17, 2021

Wow, there's no good way to migrate Insight objects and preserve linkages?

abhishek_sharma03
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2021

Dear @Dylan , Is there any progress on the migration pathway for moving Insight Data from server to cloud ? We have an upcoming cloud migration where we need to move 2 Jira projects with extensive Insight usage. Since Insight is now natively available in JSM Premium cloud, will it be possible to have a similar integration possible where we have projects in Jira Software and Insight in JSM ?

BR

Abhishek

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events