Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in your #OpenRoadOpenRole must have daily carry?

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

I'm not living #vanlife, but as a mom of busy teens, I love the flexibility of working anywhere. I primarily work from my home office, but I have supported a software launch from a water park; worked on documentation and contracts from marching band camp; and written code in my car, as well as in our actual primary office location.

Over the last couple of years, I've been refining my carry to make sure I have everything I need, but as little else as possible. I'm not including purchase links here, but for anyone who's interested, I'll be happy to provide them in the comments.

Here's my list of standard must haves:

• Steering wheel mounted desk for use while parked
  • Portable second monitor
  • USB (cabled) mouse*
  • Cabled headphones (USB-C and TRRS 4-pole 3.5mm)*
  • A cable case with all the power and connector cables stowed tidily

*Cabled peripherals don't lose fidelity the way wireless ones can when you find yourself in a tight space full of other users, like an airplane or coffee shop.

I also carry a few things that you may not immediately think of for a remote IT pro:

• A Tide pen and Clorox wipes
    • Don't join a client meeting with a spot on your shirt, and wipe down that picnic table before you sit down your laptop and lunch!
  • A Gerber Dime Piece multi-tool
    • I cannot overestimate the handiness of tweezers, teeny scissors, precision screwdriver, etc.
  • A fabric emergency blanket 
    • Not for health emergencies so much as to hang in whichever car window has hideous glare.

What do you have in your bag to facilitate work anywhere? 

4 comments

Comment

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

I love this list, I never would have thought about the emergency blanket :) 

My bag is packed for both local and international travel, so I also include some basic medication, a travel adapter, and an extra pair of glasses (I once had my glasses break clean in the middle while at the reception desk of a client, I had to tape them together and I've carried an extra pair of glasses ever since :) ).

Like # people like this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

Meds are definitely a must-have. Including some ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

@Anne Saunders one accessory I found extremely necessary - and I wish I had found sooner - is a lapgear lap desk. I was burning my thighs balancing my laptop on them in the car, train, on the couch or while sitting up in bed. It also has great tabletop conventional use when I am working from my kitchen or dining room table. 
I like the focus on having wired accessories. A good pouch for wire and cable storage is also a necessity. 

Like Anne Saunders likes this
Carolyn Allen October 13, 2022

Love the list of supplies...   you remind me of one of those mums from my mothers group who were always equipped with everything in their nappy bag... nappies, wipes, snacks, drinks, spare clothes, dummies, etc.  

As a mum of 3 boys and a puppy, I also love the flexibility of working from anywhere (home, basketball, football, surf comp and so on).   

Like # people like this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2022

Amen! It's like I traded my diaper bag for a Mom-stuff bag :D

Like Carolyn Allen likes this
Carolyn Allen October 13, 2022

It also matches your role description "Swiss Army Knife"- ready for anything.   :-)

Like # people like this
Libby Bohan October 23, 2022

In my bag:

Snacks. Snacks. and Snacks! 

Lipstick is also a must. 

I also work a lot at night. I always have a battery ring light that I use as a torch at night. 

In my car:

I totally get the mumurgency kit.  I tend to have a sports towel and spare change of clothes in the boot. I keep my running shoes, yoga gear and lap swimming stuff in the car not my closet for this exact reason.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events