We "Aced" these macarons for the Great Atlassian Bake-off

My daughter (age 10) and I recently started making macarons together. It started with a class taught by a professional pastry chef. Now we've graduated to making them ourselves at home! 

Everything you've heard about macarons is true. They look simple enough when they're finished, but they are finicky. We learned the French method, which involves weighing ingredients on a kitchen scale. If the recipe says "110g of egg whites," you'd best weigh out exactly 110g. Not 108g, not 111g... 110g. And all the dry ingredients have to be sifted to remove any lumps. Suffice it to say, macarons are a geeky labor of love. 

For this bake, we used a recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/french-macarons/

Making the shells and filling went smoothly enough. But when it came time to create a stencil of the Atlassian logo (which is referred to internally as the "Ace"), things got tricksy. We made three stencils before we finally landed on one that worked well. Laying it "just so" on the macaron top and lifting it back off took some practice, too. We also had some trial and error around applying the gold dust inside the stencil. For each cookie you see in the picture, know that there were 10 whose logo stencil got mucked up. 🤪

So without further ado, here are a few pics of the process and the glorious results!

PXL_20211212_194836993.jpg

PXL_20211212_195012476.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20211212_201942249.jpg

PXL_20211212_221155579.PORTRAIT.jpg

2 comments

Comment

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 13, 2021

These are just amazing, @SGD !!!

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro December 13, 2021

I love it! 🤩

Congrats!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events