Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great Atlassian Bakeoff: Atlassian ACE Cake

Aurea Del Moral
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2021

The Beginning

Last week @Kat Kelsch shared with me this post about The Great Atlassian Bakeoff.

It is no secret I love to bake and decorate cakes so I decided to try a cake trend I’ve been wanting to for a while: “Number Cakes”. These cakes are simply shaped like the desired number, filled and then decorated with color-pop toppings.

The Concept

For this cake I used my Simple White Cake recipe, an American Buttercream, and assorted toppings like rock sugar, macarons and blueberries.

To make it Atlassian themed… I decided to shape it like the Atlassian logo!

For the Simple White Cake:

Yields 12+ cupcakes or two 6 inch pan

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C)

2. Grease and flour pan or line muffin pan with paper liners

3. In a medium bowl, cream sugar and butter. 

4. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.

5. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth.

6. Add flour to mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared pan

7. Bake as directed:
    For two 6 inch pan: ~30 minutes
    For 12+ cupcakes: ~15 minutes

8. Let cool before unmolding and frosting

For this cake I made 1.5 times the amount of batter and baked it in an 11x15 sheet cake pan, then carved out the two layers of the ACE.

You can make this style cake pretty much in ANY flavor and color!

The Baking Experience

First thing I did was print out the logo to use as a stencil. That is when I discovered I did not in fact own a sheet pan to cut the logo out of so I paid a quick visit to the store. Additionally went on the hunt for some blue toppings. Apparently blue is the hardest color to find stuff for.

This morning I finally baked my white cake, and let it cool. I had actually never baked a sheet cake so had no idea what I was doing :noidea: and almost broke it in half… Cake survived.

I also had never carved a cake before but my baker instincts told me to put it in the freezer after cutting it into the sub-chunks I would use. after about an hour the cake was firm and it was super easy to cut using the Ace stencil.

Lastly, it was all decorating. Made buttercream in white, light and dark blue and got to work… soon enough I was ready to reveal the…

Final Product!

IMG_2616.jpgIMG_2619.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2625.jpg

Big Thank Yous

I want to thank my team, Pangolin (@Aurea Del Moral @SqrrlDev Oza @Adrian LaCour @Jewell Finder @Kat Kelsch @[deleted] Berg @sean wilkinson) for being the awesome team they are and always reacting with fun emojis to all the cake pictures I post.

I also want to thank my husband Matt for doing all the dishes 😬 and taking the professional photos of my cake you see above.

5 comments

Comment

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro December 12, 2021

Beautiful 🥳👏🏽!

Like Aurea Del Moral likes this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2021

Oh wow! This looks so professional 😮😍👏

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2021

This is making me hungry!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Well done on the decorations!

Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 13, 2021

This looks so yummy @Aurea Del Moral !

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events