Open road, open roles: celebrate AtlassiVan and remote work to earn our limited edition badge

Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 4, 2022

Atlassivan_PromoBanner.png

AtlassiVan is hitting the open road

We believe the future of work is distributed because amazing talent exists everywhere. 

Atlassian is hitting the open road in Australia this month in our sustainable #AtlassiVan to talk all things remote work and open roles at Atlassian. 🚐☀️🎶

We’re making nine stops throughout October to host local events. Learn more about #OpenRoadOpenRole, meet Atlassians embracing a flexible work life, and see where in Australia we're visiting so you can attend at www.atlassivan.com.

Can’t make it to our in-person event? That’s okay!

To complement our in-person experience and bring the spirit of #TeamAnywhere to your globally, you can earn a special, limited-edition badge online to celebrate all things remote work!

4 Ways to earn our limited-edition AtlassiVan badge

Atlassivan_CommunityBadge@2x.png

The fun isn't limited to our in-person AtlassiVan. Do you enjoy working from places you travel to? What does remote work allow you to do - any crazy stories or favorite parts of your routine?

To earn this badge, you can choose from any of the following actions:

✅ Share on social

Have you traveled in an RV recently? Snap a picture of you taking advantage of van life or remote work, and share on LinkedIn, Twitter, or Instagram. Make sure you complete the following:

• Share your wildest/most out there remote work story with socialmedia, and use the following hashtags: #Atlassian#OpenRoadOpenRoles #AtlassiVan #TeamAnywhere
  • Tag us using @atlassian
  • Link your social post on this discussion so we make sure you get your badge!

✅ Comment on this article

Join the conversation and pile on a thread of your favorite remote work moments or your wildest stories of working remotely!

• Snap a pic of you taking advantage of Team Anywhere/ Van Life and how it's impacted your lifestyle
  • Share your photo in the comments of this post, and leave some positivity for others, too!

✅ Start a discussion on remote work

Craft the conversation around remote work and inspire others to creatively work from wherever they are while pursuing your interests.

• Start a discussion in our Atlassian Community Contests group on an aspect of remote work, and include a prompt for other users to chime in!
  • Make sure your tag your discussion with OpenRoadOpenRoles, AtlassiVan, and TeamAnywhere.

✅ Record a short video showing how you #TeamAnywhere

Get creative by storytelling your craziest work story, or showing how you work remotely! What's your setup, what do you enjoy in your workday, and what do you make time for?

• Choose from 3 prompts to answer (or answer all 3!) at https://app.vouchfor.com/c/RPFAbiFsJU.
  • Record a short clip (up to 60 seconds) with your answer. Keep it short and sweet or get creative!
  • We'll pick a few favorites to highlight for an #AtlassiVan #TeamAnywhere moment.

We're excited to celebrate our work culture and get inspiration from each other. See you in the comments and on social media!

16 comments

Comment

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi @Sharon Tan this is a cool initiative from Atlassian to visit the cities in Australia. As part of virtual participation of this event, here's my discussion posted on remote work. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Community-Contests/What-s-your-take-on-remote-work-and-tools/td-p/2153686

Like # people like this
Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 5, 2022

Thank you @G subramanyam !!

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

This is fun, I've been working remotely for 7 years now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. 

I've worked from 4 different continents with just a laptop and wifi.

The 2 things I enjoy the most working remotely are:

1. Being able to balance work and life much easier. You can plan your work around your family life, not the other way around. 
  2. Actually looking forward to visiting the office once in a while and doing an on-site instead of dreading the daily commute. 

One of my favourite memories is from an Atlassian Ship-It project I did while working remotely for Atlassian. I created Charlie the traveller, a Lego figure with a Charlie t-Shirt who would be travelling from one remote Atlassian to another and each host would write an internal blog post showcasing their remote working life together with Charlie. 

Charlie-Lego.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. October 5, 2022

@Sharon Tan this is such a great event, and I truly appreciate when companies can understand that remote work really is the answer.

I would love to work for a company that prides itself on remote work, finding the best talent wherever it may be and doesn't shy away from thinking through some of the complexities that might exist.

I really wish I was in Australia to meet up with you all.

Have fun!!

Like # people like this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

@Sharon Tan Thanks for letting your global users participate in so many ways - I'm in the wrong hemisphere to participate in person, but here's my discussion entry: What's in your #OpenRoadOpenRole must have daily carry? 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Hi @Sharon Tan  - Thanks for sharing the article!

Remotely working lets me do some traveling now and still be able to get work done. Currently I am in Dubai visiting for the first time. What an amazing place! And I get to attend my first ever in-person ACE with the Dubai chapter next week!!

Having the flexibility to work anywhere in the world (literally) offers a lot of freedom!

Like # people like this
Jonathan V. October 6, 2022

Have any of you ever thought about the #DarkSide? Dark side of remote work that is. LOL

Feel free to drop your 2 cents on the discussion I just started: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Community-Contests/The-dark-side-to-the-OpenRoadOpenRole/m-p/2155367#M288

Like # people like this
Andrés Sabatini October 10, 2022

Nice article!

one of the advantages I see is to have my cats besides me while I work. That way we aren't as distant as before, and even as they claim my desk as theirs, It's nice to have a pet-and-belly-rub-break once or twice a day

Like so:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmb_FYp_Ij/

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2022

@Sharon Tan  thanks for open roads and remote works

I really love remote work as we can work from anywhere of the world and its easy and can contribute more as there won't be any travelling or worry about family, we always be with happy family etc..., 

I love remote work.

Vikram P 

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2022

It would be great travelling with the Atlassivan on Australia... except if it wasn't for the spiders and all other insects that one can find anywhere! Thankfully, remote working got this covered, and now I can work from Greece, while lying under the sun on beautiful sandy beaches with crystal clear waters!

I've been working remotely for 3 years now (not on beautiful beaches, but from my house) and didn't have the need to travel. This helped me staying close to my family and to my (now) 4 yo daughter. Less commute, more essential and quality time for everything!

I do miss the offic......naaahhh! It's alright! :D

Like # people like this
Sudarshan Nandakumar October 15, 2022

Remote Work allows me to work anywhere. I happen to work in West Coast for 12 days with work in full flow in my company and also travelling for the first time. It is gives flexibility to travel and workfromanywhere.

Like # people like this
Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2022

Amazing. I love seeing these types of initiatives. My wife and I have been so close to buying a boho camper and just cutting loose. 

My experience is very similar to many others... a little over 3 years remote, no travel  due to the world situation, however have been embracing the freedom of family-time, and the balance has been restorative. 

100% do NOT miss the office life...

1.5h commute (to/from) x5 = 7.5h a week x 52 weeks = 390 hours a year x 3 years = 1170 hours = 148.75 workdays (48.75 FULL days) saved and counting. (Just in commute time alone!)

You can't get that back any other way.

Like # people like this
Libby Bohan October 23, 2022

Isn't it insane when you quantify it like that! 

Got a list of van names going?!

Roxana-Otilia Ciuhat October 19, 2022

Lovely initiative Atlassian!
I have been working remotely for about 3 years now, from a boat. And the last half year from a sailboat actually, mostly anchoring.

I work full time so on one side, every day is a work day -  either as an Atlassian Consultant or boat "maintainer". On the other side, every day is an almost unbelievable  present. There is also the occasional sailing :)

The best part of this lifestyle is .. actually there are 2 parts: independence and downsizing.
I can easily sail to the next bay or next island if the one I am on is too crowded or too roly or if the neighbours are annoying, or if I just feel like it :). Also, all devices on the boat are powered by solar energy so, I can hold out for quite a while.
Downsizing, reusing, recycling are a must because of space constraints and also a joy because of the freedom and independence they bring. 

Good morning everybody!
IMG_20221019_081748.jpg

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2022

I am speechless.

Like # people like this
Libby Bohan October 23, 2022

Go further, to get closer

I never travelled until I was a parent.  

In my working career I've had lots of different work environments, expectations and cultures. From corporate, to self employed, none have challenged me more than that of being a parent. Of balancing not my time, but my sense of self. 

Travel always seemed like an interlude. By stepping out of what life should be, to experience adventure as an exception, a journey, a pause in life that takes you off the track, a diversion to the path of normal, predictable, the sense of 'every' in a daily life. 

Perhaps I never realised I needed to go further into life, to get closer to it. 

#TeamAnywhere as a parent is life changing. To be, going further brings me closer to those I love. In this photo, I am 5 months pregnant with my youngest daughter. I left a husband, and 4 other kids behind at home, doing their daily life.  I am also celebrating the start a pivotal point in my business at this time.  I was in the beautiful Uluwatu for 9 days. A babymoon, a system conversion, and some time to dream and get closer to the reason that I push in the dailyest of days as a Mum. 

Now, travel for me is not a time out from being a Mum. I enjoy the freedom to take our family with us, husband included. I'm so lucky to have found remote work fits so well in my life and I'll never not have flexibility to go further to get closer to my guiding purpose. 

It's a strange concept. The ultimate way to reconnect is to go further, with less and in return to get a sense of more, a fullness to life. 

Libby_goes_remote.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

Here is a link to a post on LinkedIn that introduces an article I wrote about some lessons learned in going remote (and preparedness) from Hurricane Sandy, ten years ago this weekend.

Hashtags #Atlassian #OpenRoadOpenRoles #AtlassiVan #TeamAnywhere are on the article.

Enjoy!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

And a gratuitous self-promotion of my Community post.

Like # people like this
Deepak Rai
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

unnamed.jpg

This is my WFH setup. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2022

I've been working 100% remote since we closed schools for COVID back on March 16, 2020. Since then, I've changed careers and happily continue to work from home. I love that I can spend the day with a dog snuggled at my feet, escape for lunch walks with said dog (and even my husband who is mostly remote) and have so much less stress trying to get children to before/after school care without the need to commute to work!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events