Would like to Merge 2 projects from one Cloud JIRA install to another Cloud JIRA install?

Anne Gallant January 13, 2020

We need to merge 2 projects from one JIRA Cloud install to another JIRA Cloud install due to a company merger.  There are other projects in the first cloud install that we do not want to move over.

Any suggestions or tips?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Hi Anne,

Great question, as this can be one of the tricker migrations to accomplish.

First, I'd start by reviewing a couple of key pieces of documentation:

1. Compare cloud migration methods
  2. Merge multiple instances of Jira Cloud

If you still have questions after comparing the available methods and their pros and cons, reach out to our migration support team who'd be happy to assist you in determining the best migration strategy.

Best wishes,
Maren

Anne Gallant January 14, 2020

Maren, thanks for the details.  I was miss informed and my task is actually to take 2 projects from a massive on prem JIRA (7.13) installed in AWS and migrate to an existing Cloud JIRA.

I have been researching and it seems that we need to create an on prem staging environment, copy the Cloud data into the on prem staging environment and then move the 2 projects into the on prem staging environment (I am told that the one of the parties involved has a tool to do this using the API).

Then push the combined data from the on prem staging environment to the Cloud environment overwriting the current Cloud data.

Is this all necessary or is there a way to update the data on the cloud version directly using the API?

Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Hi Anne,

In your case, it sounds like the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant is the best approach. This will allow you to migrate projects directly from server to cloud without overwriting existing data.

Note that the tool is still in an Early Access Program, but contact support and they can provide more information to help you assess if you can use the tool in your situation. 

Best,
Maren

Like Sri Kumar likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events