Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to users when you migrate them from jira server to jira cloud?

Andrea Mendez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2020

Hi!

I'm currently testing the JSD server to JSD cloud migration, the way I'm doing this is by getting a backup from server and doing a restore on cloud, everything migrates fine, I can see the projects, tickets, users, but my question is, how do you handle the users once they are migrated to cloud? meaning do they get an invite when I do the restore? should I send invites individually to all of the users? or does it keep the passwords they had on server? and if there is a difference in this first time login to cloud between agents users and customer users?

I'll really appreciate your help, it's the only thing I'm missing to be able to do the actual migration

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrea Mendez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2020

For what I have tested and with the help of the support team of Atlassian, for the first login of the users on cloud, they need to access the new URL (the one from cloud) and follow the steps as if they had forgotten their password, enter the email with which they are registered in server, so it can send them a link to create a new password, the credentials doesn't stay the same when you migrate, what the migration does it's that it creates the account with the email the user has in server, so they only need to add that email when they are following the steps to recover the password, hope this helps anyone that is doing this process

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Andrea,

This article should answer all your questions.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/migrating-users-and-groups-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-1018767732.html

From the article:

We won’t send an invitation to your users even if you choose to give your users access during the migration. To invite your users you can choose to send an invitation from the Administration space after you have migrated, or send a link for them to log in themselves.

I believe that their credentials stay the same.

Volker Jakob November 12, 2020

Hi Brant,

does this also apply for the migration with the jira site import (Jira system restore)? The documentation isn't obvious with this.

Thank you.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Volker,

I am not positive on that but would assume it is the case.  You could always create a new project and only have a couple of users in it and test to confirm before doing your real migration.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events