Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is everyone's avatar broken on CAC?

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2021

I can't see anyone's avatar on community.atlassian.com, instead the alt text is displayed.

Is this normal behaviour?

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 10.01.42.png

If I view the URL for an avatar image, e.g. 
https://api-private.atlassian.com/users/xxx:yyyy-dbfb-4f0c-a03e-zzzzzzzz/avatar?initials=public,

I see:

{"code":401,"message":"Unauthorized"}

This avatar is visible on other Atlassian products, but using a different. URL:

https://avatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net/xxx:yyyy-dbfb-4f0c-a03e-zzzzzzzz/fdsafdsa-7f19-432c-99d7-fdsfdsafdsafdsa/128

Is it just me? Am I special? Is there a fix? Are you aware that this is broken?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Hey @David at David Simpson Apps  - we're aware of this particular issue and the underlying cause. If you happen to see this issue, you can resolve it by ensuring you're logged in to Atlassian Cloud (id.atlassian.com is a good place to check this). Once you're able to access Atlassian Cloud sites or your profile at id.atlassian.com, the avatars should load normally again on Community.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hopefully the underlying issue is fixed one of these days... quality of life improvements are always appreciated! 💪

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2021

Yeah, @Daniel Eads that didn’t work on my Mac/Chrome as I’m always logged into id.atlassian.com to use this and Jira Cloud etc. However everything is good on mobile Safari. You’ve got a weird bug there 🙃

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

The avatars are pulled from the identity service (or an anonymous one is shown if the logged-in user is not a member of the same organization, and that person has set their image to viewable by their organization only). Right now it's possible that the identity session may have ended - but the Community uses a separate session cookie. Therefore it's possible to be logged in on Community still while the identity service sees your requests for avatars as unauthorized. I hope that provides a little more guidance - if logging in at id.atlassian.com on the same browser session you're logged in to Community with doesn't seem to fix it, you could continue further by:

• Logging out of Community (the icon next to the notification tray in the top bar -> Log out). This should refresh your identity session with Community. You may need to do a hard refresh (shift + cmd + R or shift + F5) to bust the broken images in your cache.
  • Completely clear your cookies/cache and log in again

This should only happen once per user and session - so once you've cleared the problem on your Mac, you should be set in Chrome going forward.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Marketplace Partner
April 28, 2021

It's not nice:

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 10.11.46.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events