Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I not the administrator of the Jira account?

Luke Naude March 22, 2021
  • I'm onboarding our team to Jira.
  • My user account was the first Jira account made using our company office-365 account.
  • I added team-members who subsequently made accounts using the invite links I sent them.
  • I just received an email for our upcoming bill for Jira usage. As a team we had decided to use the free account.
  • I go to the Billing page, and I can't view information or make changes because I am not an administrator.

When did I stop being the administrator?

What would have caused someone else to be the administrator?

2 answers

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2021

Hello @Luke Naude,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our support and I saw the screenshots you shared. I’m glad that you were able to change the billing details.

Since you were only able to do that using incognito mode, I was wondering that maybe you are logged in (in normal mode) using another account that doesn’t have permissions on the site. 

Can you please clear the browser cache and cookies and make sure to go to id.atlassian.com and logout from your account.

After that, go to id.atlassian.com and login with your admin account.

Regarding the permissions to delete issues that you mentioned on the ticket as well, usually only people on the project role Administrator can do that. 

If it’s a classic project, go to Project settings > People and add yourself as Administrator. On a next-gen project, go to Project settings > Access.

I can see that you are still on the Standard plan, so you should be able to change the settings above.

If it still doesn’t work, then let’s wait for your internal support team since they can access your site and view the permissions.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Luke Naude March 26, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

Your clear cache tip worked! Thank you.

Still no ability to delete. I downgraded us to the free plan so changing permissions in project settings doesn’t work. I’ve gone to groups and added myself to all admin groups, but still no ability to delete.

Cheers,

Luke

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

Thank you for the details, Luke. I’m glad that the login is working now.

Regarding the permission, depending on how it is, it will be necessary to upgrade the plan again just to change the permissions and then change to Free again. 

I have a Free cloud site and the permissions, by default, is that any logged in user can do anything, including delete issues.

If the permissions were changed while it was on Standard, then it will be necessary to change the plan or create a new project and move all the issues to this new project where it will be assigned to the default permission scheme.

Are you facing errors when trying to delete an issue or the button is not visible/clickable?

Is it affecting other users? Are they able to delete an issue?

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

@Luke Naude Welcome to community.  

If someone created an account previously with Atlassian on the same domain they are most likely the administrator.  Your account is most likely a Jira Administer but not a site or system admin.  If you are on a free account you will need help from Atlassian so I will escalate.  If you are on a paid plan then you can submit a support issue here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ which will be faster.

Luke Naude March 25, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Thanks.

I created the site about two weeks ago. The free trial of the paid plan has just ended today - I'm hoping that will solve the problem because as I understand it the free plan puts all users on an administrator level. If that happens I expect my problems to be solved.

I've submitted a ticket through support channels which is progressing slowly and steadily at a cadence of 1 back-and-forth email per day.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events