Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between 'Full name' and 'Public name'?

Lee August 12, 2020

Both these fields (in the settings) say they're visible by "anyone" so what's the difference?

Also, the info box next to the "Public name" field indicates that this name is used on Atlassian public forums. However, the name being used here on the forums is my Full Name. Is this a bug?

1 answer

0 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2020

Hi @Lee , 

In case you haven't found this article yet, it might be helpful:  Update your profile and visibility settings 

You can change your settings so that (for example) only people in your organization can see your full name, and your public name that's visible to other people (such as in the Community) is different. 

I'm guessing that you've since changed your Public name to be different than your Full name? Because at this point, I can only see your name as "Lee". 

Best wishes,

Sharon

Lee August 12, 2020

Thank you for your help, ma'am.

Yes, I removed my full name (and avatar) when it transpired that people could see it publicly. I use Trello privately and did not set up the account with the intention of it being public in any way.

So from what I can understand, then, the reason we have "Full name" and "Public name" is that we can change the settings so that not everyone can see our Full name.

However, I am not able to do this. Both settings are set to "Anyone" and they're grayed out so i can't change them.

Aneita
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2020

Hi @Lee

Public names are used in public forums like the Atlassian Community, and its visibility is always set to 'Anyone'. 

Full names are generally only visible to those that work on the same sites as you (e.g. for Jira and Confluence). In the case of Trello though, full names are visible to everyone. Regarding being able to set the visibility of your full name, that's only available for managed accounts. However, if you don't want your full name visible to other Trello users, you can change your full name to something else. 

Hope this helps!

Aneita

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events