Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to delete account

Tom Lambert July 31, 2020

I have a free Bitbucket account under email1@example.com. Somehow, I also ended accidentally creating an Atlassian account under email2@example.com (I think because I had a Trello account on that address at one point, before Trello was owned by Atlassian).

I have tried the Delete Account process outlined in the help docs and every time I try, it says, "Can't delete account"

All I want is to change my Bitbucket email address to email2@example.com, but because there is an Atlassian account with that email address, I can't do it. And because of some strange issue, I can't delete the account either.

How can I delete that account or combine the accounts or whatever one does to change the Bitbucket email.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2020

Hey Tom, welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out.

We're working on improving the documentation around removing accounts, as there are some edge cases that aren't currently accounted for. In order to get things moving faster for you, I'd recommend raising a Billing and Licensing ticket on our support portal (this link will choose the correct dropdown fields) while signed in as email2 and explaining you'd like the account removed.

Alternatively, and I've done this in the past, you can head to https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email on email2 and change the email address to something else. If you've got Gmail, you could use something like "email2+temporary@example.com" (Atlassian accounts do see the +something as separate email addresses, but gmail will still deliver the verification emails to the address to the left of the + sign). That frees up email2@example.com for you to use for the account change from email1.

Cheers,
Daniel

Tom Lambert August 1, 2020

Solution 2 is so obvious. I should have thought of that. Worked great. Thanks!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events