Problem creating mail handler - 0 message found error

Mohini P May 7, 2014

Hi All,

I am trying to create a mail handler for one of my JIRA on demand projects. I went through following discussion thread but did not get satisfactory results:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/121661/problem-when-creating-mail-handler-for-creating-jira-issues-from-email

My requirement is my customers will launch complaints through email and I DO NOT want to create JIRA account for them. Thus, I have created a default reporter = "email issue creator" user with the same account on which the issues are coming (abc@xyz.com). I am getting an error :-

Test Run Results

No messages were found in this mailbox. To properly test this handler, populate your mailbox with a few emails first and re-run the test.

Found 0 unprocessed message(s) in the pop3 folder.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mohini P May 8, 2014

I found out what was wrong in my setup. I created a gmail POP mail handler and then this Incoming mail error I could sort.
Andy, you were right. I was directly trying to add a incoming mail handler without specifying the gmail POP mail handler.

Thank you for your help.

1 vote
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

K, so just stating the obvious, you have no mail. Why that is could be (a) you really dont have mail, it was never delivered, (b)you have another system hooked up to that mailbox which is grabbing it before your system does. Each are feasible, and happen often.

Disable your local mailhandler. Use a standalone mailclient to monitor whats in the mailbox without opening them, if no mail ever arrives when you send it, its (a), if you see mail arrive, and go, then its (b)

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

K, so just stating the obvious, you have no mail. Why that is could be (a) you really dont have mail, it was never delivered, (b)you have another system hooked up to that mailbox which is grabbing it before your system does. Each are feasible, and happen often.

Disable your local mailhandler. Use a standalone mailclient to monitor whats in the mailbox without opening them, if no mail ever arrives when you send it, its (a), if you see mail arrive, and go, then its (b)

Mohini P May 8, 2014

Hi Andy,
thank you for your reply but i am totally confused after reading it.

The current senario for me is..

My JIRA version is on-demand and I have about 100000 customers. I am using JIRA for issue tracking and I have a common email "email-issues@gmail.com" and this email has JIRA account named as "email issue creator".

Now, this email is shared with my customers and when they raise complaint by emailing to this account, I want to have one JIRa issue created for new email.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2014

OK, that puts a different spin on the question. Addressing the question, having just proved this, if JIRA says you have no mail, then you have no mail and that is the answer to that. Ive just proved this works as expected.

Theory goes, that you can capture your incoming email as an issue, one way traffic, should work / does work. With this solution though you wont be able to have your internal user just comment, they would have to 'share the issue' or similar. And if the external user sends a CC to other parties, they won't even appear on the issue.

If you a more comprehensive solution, I have an addon in development for OnDemand to do this, it'll be reading June/July for beta, watch JEMH-2370 .

To reiterate, you have no mail! Check your auth, accessing POP/IMAP from OnDemand can raise security flags and stop processing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events