Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to deactivate or suspend user

Simon Lee April 2, 2022

I'm trying to follow these guides to deactivate a user, and the menus and options discussed in them don't exist.

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/remove-or-suspend-a-user/

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/deactivate-a-managed-account/

We don't have a "directory" tab or menu, only "users". When we look at a user's profile, the only options we have are "prompt password reset" and "remove user".

We're using Confluence Standard and Jira Premium.

Is anyone able to point us in the right direction for deactivating/suspending users?

EDIT: The issue was I didn't realise there was a level above site admin. So I had to be promoted to an org admin, which is done in a seperate part of the admin console.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2022

Hi @Simon Lee 

The instructions on this help page should work - it just depends on which user experience you have.

For ease, I've included some instructions below. You'll know which experience you're in from...

• In the old experience, there's toggles (green tick when ON)
  • In the old experience, the Admin bar has the blue highlight on Products, whilst in the new experience it's highlighted on Directory

Please Note...

• You'll need Org Admin in the new user experience; Site Admin should still work in the older experience. See this page for information about the different Admin types
  • In both examples I'm going to start in Jira, rather than https://admin.atlassian.com/ - for ease
  • Revoke and Suspend access are the same thing

Old Experience

From Jira...

1. Go to Jira Settings (cog icon in top-right) > User Management
  2. Locate a user using the search bar
  3. Click on their name to access their detailed user view
  4. To suspend/revoke all access, toggle Has access on site to OFF (grey X)
  5. To remove user, use the 3-dots icon in the top-right

You could also...

1. Locate a user using the search bar
  2. Click the 3-dots icon at the end of their user row - and Revoke site access should also be in here

New Experience

From Jira...

1. Go to Jira Settings > User Management
  2. Locate a user using the search bar
  3. Click on their name to access their detailed user view
  4. In the top-right, 3-dots icon

Options to suspend or remove user access should be in here

You could also...

1. Locate a user using the search bar
  2. Click the 3-dots icon at the end of their user row - and Suspend Access should also be in here

Let us know if either of these work for you!

Ste

1 vote
Answer accepted
kuldeep Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2022

@Simon Lee ,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The links you shared it is applicable in the Jira Cloud instance.

If you're using server instance you have to click on the "user management" showing at right side upper setting.

Then you have to search for user name using email id or user name in the search bar,

After user appeared in the search, go to user "edit" option and Deselect "Active" and click on save.

Now you can see that user is de-activated. Please let me know for any questions.

Thanks,

Kuldeep

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2022

Hi @Simon Lee , please try the following. Understand that you must be  a system admin. 

1. click on the cog ⚙️ 
  2. select User management 
  3. search for user
  4. click on the ellipses on the right 
  5. select Revoke access

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events