Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need guidance on how to peel my work email address out of Atlassian Account for... some things.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

I have, perhaps stupidly, long had my Atlassian ID associated with my work email address. That was fine in the early days but less so now especially as I become more active in the community. It is convenient in that the same account sees my company stuff AND my vendor support service desks and the like in one place but... things are changing.

My question is... how do I split off my Atlassian ID to my personal address WITHOUT borking my work stuff and have the separate single destination Atlassian ID with my work environment... 

1 answer

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

@Mike Rathwell , you'll need to play musical emails for your Atlassian IDs.

id.atlassian.com email tab will let you change your email. If you want to swap the address on two existing accounts, you may need a third temp email while things are being switched.

You should be able to update your current account with your personal email address. The ID should remain the same and attached to the appropriate Atlassian Support requests. Create a new account for your work and then share the existing support requests with that new account.

Or have Atlassian Support update all the support requests for you with the new account. :)

-pjd

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

Thanks, @Peter DeWitt . I will try that. I will make sure to make a back door site owner at work with personal account first so I don't find myself locked out of there and take a shot at this. I will let you know how it goes.

For as long as it's relevant, I don't want to bork my work account access

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

Some Atlassian systems sync more slowly than others, so if you're going to change the email addresses, you might find it takes a few hours before some of the systems catch up, so you might find some emails go to the old address for a while.

For the account that is going to go through a couple of changes, I've had a couple of people report that changes got reverted, or the second change didn't seem to cascade to other systems at all if you did them close together.  I'd recommend making the first change, and then have some lunch before changing the email again to the end-point.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2022

SO... I attempted to make the change this morning... I have to do some digging but with my work account being under my Atlassian ID AND managed by the org, it won't let me change my ID to my personal email address.

I need to do some digging to see how I can split it in my own org now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events