Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there step-by-step documentation for restricting an outside user to a single project?

Scott Love December 8, 2020

I have setup a next-gen project to capture bugs for an existing beta trial with a client.  I would like to provide access for them to enter bugs and other issues in the specific project. 

However, I want the Jira system to limit them to seeing and accessing only that project and no other information in our Jira account.   In other words, they cannot see any other projects and cannot search outside the project that they're working in or view other kanban projects in our account. 

I'm on this support site because the Jira documentation is unclear about creating permissions and assigning them to a specific next-gen project and it's unclear to me from the documentation why the need for a role that is different from a non-admin role for working within a specific project when inviting a user from outside the company.  

We've been using Jira now for about a year but this particular configuration has got us stumped.  Is there is a video tutorial that walks through this configuration step-by-step?

We're doing the same thing in Slack with an outside user and it just worked without any hassles. The beta user is limited and locked down to a specific private channel on our Slack workspace.   That's the functionality we're looking for in Jira.  It's likely pilot error on our end but specific recipe details would be appreciated. 

We clearly understand that adding this outside user will add to our monthly bill but that's fine.  We just need to solve this ASAP or look for another platform. 

2 answers

0 votes
Scott Love January 30, 2021

I finally stumbled on a solution after 2 days of trial and error.  There are a few UI/UE inconsistencies in the use and definition of Roles and where/how they appear.  I also answered my original question about restricting project access/visibility.  In my case, since I'm only working with next-gen projects, the key for my set-up is setting the project access to private from the start.  A step-by-step video tutorial would still be very helpful. 

0 votes
Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020
Scott Love December 23, 2020

Hi Kieren,

I will take a look at the link and let you know if that answers my question. 

I'm still looking for complete documentation with screen shots or video instruction.  The security security permissions, groups and roles are adding a level of unnecessary complexity to what I consider a basic feature requirement of the platform; how to easily onboard secure access from an external user/customer to a specific project while limiting their access to any other project.   

We're using Slack with external customers and there is no problem using private/locked channels to provision access quickly.  I would challenge the Atlassian team to match that level of provisioning efficiency.  

Thank you again for responding.  I'll see if the recipe works.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events