Do bot users count towards a license?

Deleted user February 8, 2020

I want to know if non-human users are counted towards any atlassian product's license. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2020

Hi Luca,

If the Atlassian App uses our Connect system to integrate with our products, then they do not take up a Jira/Confluence license.

Regards,

-Kieren

Product Manager, Identity, Atlassian

Deleted user February 10, 2020

I'm not sure what you mean by Atlassian App or your Connect system...

Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

Atlassian Connect is the way that developers can hook into our products: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/integrating-with-jira-cloud/

I guess a better answer is:

If it's some sort of automation that uses Atlassian approved APIs, then there should be no additional Jira/Confluence product license needed.

If it's a script and/or it requires a user to be added to an atlassian product, even if that user is controlled via a script, then that user will take up a Jira/Confluence license.

It really depends on what you mean by Bot, i.e. how it's built / what it's doing.

Manish Patel January 23, 2023

Hope that rule could be reviewed. Feels like a common feature for companies that want automation in their pipelines. It can be confusing seeing automation happening under another user's name.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events