Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change my email address - don't receive verification mail

Andreas Vogel December 17, 2020

Hi

I try to change my email address in my atlassian account. 

The problem is that I don't receive the verification mail on the new email address, I only get the email to the OLD address that a change is requested. 

I've seen this Post ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/change-atlassian-account-email-addresses-969508513.html ) and I'm doing exactly the steps as described there. 

I've checked my spam / junk folder and if the new address is already linked to any other account / product, but it's not. 

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks!

Andreas

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Andreas Vogel ,

Daniel with Atlassian Support here! Our mail service received an error from your new email addresses email server when the verification email was sent:

550: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

When our mail service gets errors like this, it takes a temporary pause from sending more mail so it doesn't overwhelm the receiving mail server. You could imagine the problems it might cause a small company if they had a couple users with full mailboxes, and Jira notifications continued to pour in.

I've cleared out the temporary pause on your new account - so the verification email will try to deliver again if you resend it. Please double-check for typos in the new email address as well, just in case! If the mail service gets this error again, it will go back into "paused" mode and I'll need to clear that out for you once more.

Let me know either way when you retry - I'm keen to know that you were able to get your new address squared away!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Hi @Daniel Eads 

thanks for your response. 

I've tried the email change again but now I get the message "daily limit reached". I think it's because I've tried it too often within the last 24h?!

Hopefully I haven't hit the "paused" mode again with this error. I'll try my luck again tomorrow.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2020

I did pick up one more pause event out of the mail service just now - if it's not too much trouble, could you give it one more go today? Either it will work this time, or I'll get an error that we can work on to improve the reliability of the system. Thanks!

I've tried it again, with the same output:  daily limit reached

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2020

Hey @Andreas Vogel - we did find an error in our logs during your attempts on December 17. It's been somewhat difficult to get an investigation underway with many of the developers on holiday - we're currently in the phase of digging into the why of the issue (after having identified the what).

Your new email address is not in the paused state, and the daily limit has rolled over (we limit to 1 successful change in 24h - the issue here is that our system reported a success but your account was still on the old address). I believe there's the potential that your email address change could work today, even though we are still looking at the anomaly in our logs. I'll continue working on the investigation, but given the holidays it may be faster if you wanted to try quickly. Thanks for bearing with us while we tighten this up!

Like Andreas Vogel likes this
Andreas Vogel December 28, 2020

Hey @Daniel Eads 

I've tried it again and now it works! 

Thank you so much 

Raju Desai March 27, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

I am facing the same issue. Tried to change email address yesterday, but was put on hold for 24 hours after 3 attempts. I realised my new email account was not completely ready to receive emails, so fixed that. Now tried to change email address again today, but have not received the verification email to the new email address after 2 attempts so far. I am receiving an email alerting "Email address change request" to my old email account(originally registered with). Can you please help?

Thanks.

Raju Desai March 27, 2021

Hi Atlassian Support Team, @Daniel Eads

Can you help clear out the temporary pause on my new account?  I am trying to evaluate the tool for the organisation and this issue is blocking me from moving forward with the trial.

Thanks!

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
March 29, 2021

Hi @Raju Desai , thanks for opening a separate question here on Community about this - as that helps us process questions more effectively! I've emailed you directly and put an explanation on the other post.

For other folks seeing this message, please create a new question here on Community rather than replying to threads when you need individual help with email limits, as that helps us process the incoming questions better. Replying on an individual question often doesn't get the attention of the right Atlassian staff. Thanks!

Raju Desai March 29, 2021

Thanks @Daniel Eads . Noted.

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Andreas Vogel ,

You can clear cache & data from your browser and update the browser to its latest version.

Then try to follow the steps and wait a maximum of 24 hours!

Sometimes with some email id, it takes some time!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events