cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using same domain for Cloud Product

Eva Kasiak May 14, 2024

Dear Community, 
let me give you some context:

I've got customer who is using Jira and Confluence in Data Center hosted on their AWS. They have authorized company domain and run it with Atlassian Access already. 

What we want to do is to spin up new Cloud Jira Service Management for one of the teams that belong to the same org. We would like to use SSO and SAML within Atlassian Access. However learned that if the domain is already verified we can't use the same domain for another instance and other Access product. 

My questions are following:
* if this the case that when the domain was already verified in one Atlassian Access can it be used in another one or not? -> see here 

Another organization already verified the domain

If someone else has already verified the domain, we’ll display a warning message letting you know. In this situation, someone at your company might have verified the domain under another organization. We recommend that you find an admin of that organization and ask them to remove the domain from its list of verified domains

what could be alternative ways to enable people in the same org to access completely different (cloud) Jira Service Management using same credentials they use to log into their network? - if there's any ;) 

* do you have any advise and/or potential workarounds?

thank you in advance for any feedback in this matter

cheers to everyone in the community :) 
Eva

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Richard White _TechTime_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2024

Hi @Eva Kasiak 

Firstly - there is nothing from Atlassian's side stopping the customer from adding an additional JSM instance for your team within the old existing Organisation. Is there a reason within the customer that this option is off the table? Since per user costs of Access also go down at higher user tiers it will most likely be less expensive as well. 

Second, if the users are claimed via the existing Access subscription, there is absolutely nothing stopping you creating the new JSM instance in a new organisation and inviting users that are claimed by the old organisation. In this case the main downside is that the users Access subscription will be paid for and managed via the old organisation (and JSM license paid by new org). Again, this may be ok or not depending on the organisation.

Also, there is an EAP for some functionality that might help if the users are really mutually exclusive (ie. the users for team that needs new JSM would never need any of the products managed by the existing organisation) - where each organisation could claim just a subset of the managed users:
https://www.atlassian.com/wac/roadmap/cloud/multi-org-domain-claims?p=34230be2-ab. There is a comment from an Atlassian on this ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ACCESS-1450 which provides an email if this EAP would work in your case.

Eva Kasiak May 17, 2024

Hey @Richard White _TechTime_  this was indeed helpful with the roadmap and the requests links. I have a meeting next week with Atlassian Technical person who will help us to dive deeper into the solution. But assuming the multi org domain claim is launch I think it should help us to achieve what we're looking for. Thanks a milion for taking the time and responding to my question :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events