Side-effects of changing organization name

Stefan Berkenhoff April 9, 2020

Hi, 

I want to change the organization's name in order to change also the URL path of our cloud instance after a merger. I see a corresponding field in:

Admin > organization > settings > name

What will happen when I change the name?

• Will it also change the URL of the atlassian cloud ?
  • Will Old links still work / redirected?

I don't want to change the URL, when old links to  e.g. tickets we use outside will be all broken.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2020

Hi @Stefan Berkenhoff ,

Changing the organization name itself should have no user-facing effects. The only place it should be visible is to you within admin.atlassian.com. Unfortunately, that also means that changing the organization name won't trigger a change in your instance name. When you create your instance, the default organization name inherits the name for your instance URL, but it doesn't work in reverse (because you can ultimately link multiple instances to your single organization).

We support the ability to change your instance URL on a limited basis by contacting our support team. Unfortunately not all third-party apps from our Marketplace support renaming your URL yet, so we need to work with you to verify that in advance.  You can learn more here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-7184

Cheers,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events