Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an API to export the User List from the Insights page on the admin console ?

sam saas December 13, 2020

Hi,

Is there an API to export the user list csv as we can export manually from the Insights page under the Security tab of the Admin Console in Atlassian ?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Access-articles/Stay-on-top-of-product-adoption-with-Admin-Insights/ba-p/1356317#U1556328

1 answer

1 vote
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2020

Hi @sam saas 

I don't think there's an API to export users but you can use a web scrapping framework such as selenium to automatically grab that information. Alternatively you can always query the search users endpoint, however that won't give you the same information as the insight does.

sam saas December 14, 2020

Hi @Prince Nyeche ,

Thanks for the response!

The search users endpoint seems to have a bug, where the accountType field does not get populated with values: app, atlassian. Hence, does not provide the capability to list real users only.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

Hi @sam saas 

Hmm that's strange. I was curious about such problem, so I created a script that can actually extract the user list. however this is just minimal, you can expand on it if you need to. You can download the script from my github here. From my test the API works fine to get real Jira users and I can distinguish which user type i need.

sam saas December 15, 2020

Hi @Prince Nyeche ,

For Jira, the search user API seems to work fine as it populates the account type field with appropriate values. But for confluence cloud search users API, the value to the accountType field is an empty string for all users.

Related issue : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-70582

Response from Confluence Cloud REST Search Users API :

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 11.32.47 AM.png

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2020

Hi @sam saas 

Yes I can see that behaviour as well, but the workaround, seem to be the same thing I thought. use the accountId to get the user by searching 1 by 1 or group the entire user list into a file and search all and get the info whether they are app user or atlassian user.

I believe if you have Jira and Confluence applications together, there's no need to even go through the Confluence API as that would exist on the User list on Jira even though the user only have Confluence application access. Also, you can query the group API to know which group is given to the user that has application access.

Just to give you my own opinion, on Cloud you will need to use multiple APIs to achieve a given solution. so do not rely too much on one if it doesn't give you the results you need, a combination of one or more APIs usually does the trick.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events