Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove an Org and site admin?

Anthony August 8, 2019

How does one org admin remove another? I'm an org and site admin, but still unable to remove a user who is also an org and site admin.

6 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
A site and org admin can't remove another one directly, so firstly you need to remove this user from the organization by going to admin.atlassian.com > Click on the organization > Settings > Administrators > Remove the admin. After that, to remove their privileges or delete their account you need to remove the group site-admins of their profile and then you will be able to revoke their access or delete their account.

Regards,
Angélica

Karamba Marenah August 14, 2019

It stands:

"You dont have permission to revoke site access for this user" I have site admin rights but seems thats does not help.

Another message is: "We had trouble trying to remove user from the group"

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2019

Hi Karamba,

I saw that you created a new question for the same issue, so I'll post the answer there.

Regards,
Angélica

mbloore November 27, 2019

where did you answer it?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2019

Hi @mbloore,

Thank you for reaching out!

The question Karamba asked was answered here:

- Not able to Deactivate org and site admin account 

Regards,
Angélica

mbloore November 28, 2019

Thanks, Angélica. That answer provides some info, but mentions that there is more at another question, with no link to it.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 2, 2019

In this case, it's a ticket with our support that is private, that's why it's not linked to the answer.

Please, let us know the issue you are facing, so we can post a detailed response.

AlexV November 5, 2020

This isn't an answer, stating "answer is somewhere else go fetch" is really undelightful. 

Like Patrick O_Malley likes this
Yazan Qanoo August 18, 2021

I can't track these given steps

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2021

Hi @Yazan Qanoo,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Checking the details of your account, I can see that you are a site administrator, but not an organization administrator. In this case, you won’t be able to remove the org admin.

Since you are a site admin of a standard Jira site, please, reach out to our support on support.atlassian.com/contact so they can access your site and remove the current org admin and add you as the new one.

Kind regards,
Angélica

5 votes
Todd Empcke September 9, 2019

for anyone else viewing this...

I think the interface changed since this was answered, but if you go to admin > users and then click on their name.  scroll down to groups and remove them from the site-admin group (or any other groups that seem to be admin)

THEN after they are removed from the group you can revoke their access or whatever.

Deleted user September 21, 2019

Thanks @Todd Empcke . This worked :)

Satbir Kaur October 13, 2019

Hi, 

I cannot remove the organisation administrator from the site-admins group, that option is greyed out for me

Can you please help?

John Hitge October 15, 2019

Hello please help.

This user is a organization administrator, and their privileges cannot be modified.

I want to remove unwanted users?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2019

Hi @Satbir Kaur  and @John Hitge

This is expected when the user is also an org admin, so if you are also an org admin, you need to go to admin.atlassian.com > Click on the organization > Settings > Administrators > Remove the admin. After that, you will be able to remove them from the site-admin group or delete their accounts.

If you are only a site-admin, then you need to ask an org admin to remove them from the organization and then you can remove groups or delete the account.

Regards,
Angélica

Like abrailovskiy likes this
Satbir Kaur October 15, 2019

Hi Angelica, the reason I cannot remove an org & site admin is because of my access and permissions. 

My request is: 

Primary Technical contact should be changed to Davida Eaves as Tim is no longer an employee of CSG.

Davida and I should have Org and Site Admin access as well.

This is approved by Selina who is the primary contact in my email to Ahmad Syauqi Shohaimi <jirastudio-support-system@atlassian.com>

Regards, 

Satbir Kaur 

Todd Empcke November 8, 2019

If you are not an admin there is not much you can do.

This has nothing to do with atlassian however each employee should have an email with the companies primary domain so that when an employee leaves you can reset their email password and use forgot-password features to gain access to things they previously controlled.  I am CIO where I work now, and that is how I gained access to much of what my predecessor had access to.  You use their account to grant privileges to your account, and then your account to remove their access.

If that is not an option for you the only thing I can suggest is contacting atlassian support.  They are responsive and helpful in my experience.

Like Rodrigo Mieres likes this
1 vote
Manager DGP November 1, 2020

The navigation specified above no longer works.   Navigation has been changed. 

ORG & SITE ADMIN is manager@dg.com.
SITE ADMIN is manager@tpj.com

LOGIN/manager@dg.com

1. Admin/organization/organization/Users > Groups > ... > Remove user from group
  2. Does not work.   

Error: We had trouble trying to remove user.

LOGIN/manager@tpj.com

Repeat step #1, the menu option to Remove user from group is greyed out.

HELP!

Vincent Bosse November 4, 2020

Same here...

AlexV November 5, 2020

Yes. Exactly. This seems broken, and I can't figure out if I'm dumb or if Atlassian is broken in a new way. Please assist :)

Arkadiusz Niewiadomski January 29, 2021

Problem still exists - I revoked access of a person I'd like to remove from our Jira - but it's still grayed out in site-admin group.
Access from all other places was successful - looking for a solution/workaround here... 

0 votes
Perrine HUVETEAU May 7, 2021

Hello @Angélica Luz 

I've removed someone from org and site admin but that person still appears has an admin when a user account's deactivated.

Is there something else to do ?

Capture d’écran 2021-05-07 121237.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-05-07 121303.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2021

Hello @Perrine HUVETEAU,

Thank you for reaching out to Community and for sharing the screenshots.

I can see that you deactivated the Atlassian account and not removed the account from the site.

You need to remove them from the site as well. So go to the Administrators’ page and click on Remove and you can also check on User management > Users if the account is already deactivated.

I check the details of the organization here and Saurabh is not showing as an administrator.

Note that, since the Atlassian account was deactivated, even if the account is listed there, they won’t be able to access your site anymore.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2021

Hello @Badar Suhail,

Welcome to Community!

Checking the details of your site, I can see that you are the org administrator (using the same email that you are using here in community).

I saw that you created a ticket with our customer advocates and there you mentioned that you needed to remove your Gmail and add the other email (custom domain) as the org admin, but your Gmail account is not listed as an admin.

With this said, you need to go to admin.atlassian.com > Select the desired organization > Settings > Administrators. 

On this page, you can add or remove other org admins.

Your Gmail account is currently listed as the main billing and technical contact and to change that, you need to access my.atlassian.com with your Gmail and add your other account and then, you will be able to remove your Gmail.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.54.49.png

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Tatum Bisley January 11, 2021

has this been resolved?

I'm in the same situation - there is a user with the permission 'Org & Site admin' who is no longer with the business. 
I'm and Site admin and need full administrative access to the old and site. 

@altassian Please can you provide a solution. The FAQ doesn't provide an answer. 

Thanks, Tatum Bisley. 

AlexV January 11, 2021

Your problem is not the same as in this thread, and no one will give you admin rights to an org, except your org admin.

Tatum Bisley January 12, 2021

Thanks Alex. The Thread is right "How to remove an 'Org & Site Admin'.

I'm - outside of the software - the owner of this Jira instance. 

I have an old employee that is not longer with the business whose is the 'in-app' "Org & Side Admin'. I need to remove the privilege/delete that user. That employee is not longer available and the email address is no longer available. 

That is the issue I'm looking to resolve. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2021

Hello @Tatum Bisley,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I can see that you are a site administrator of a Standard site. With this said, you have permission to create a ticket with our support on support.atlassian.com/contact.

Please, reach out to them so they will be able to access the organization and give you all the necessary permissions.

Regards,
Angélica

Tatum Bisley January 27, 2021

Thanks. Will do. 

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Badar Suhail February 12, 2021

@Angélica Luz  can you help for same issue also my domain name is [removed by moderators]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events