It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to remove an Org and site admin?

Anthony I'm New Here Aug 08, 2019

How does one org admin remove another? I'm an org and site admin, but still unable to remove a user who is also an org and site admin.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
A site and org admin can't remove another one directly, so firstly you need to remove this user from the organization by going to admin.atlassian.com > Click on the organization > Settings > Administrators > Remove the admin. After that, to remove their privileges or delete their account you need to remove the group site-admins of their profile and then you will be able to revoke their access or delete their account.

Regards,
Angélica

It stands:

"You dont have permission to revoke site access for this user" I have site admin rights but seems thats does not help.

Another message is: "We had trouble trying to remove user from the group"

Hi Karamba,

I saw that you created a new question for the same issue, so I'll post the answer there.

Regards,
Angélica

for anyone else viewing this...

I think the interface changed since this was answered, but if you go to admin > users and then click on their name.  scroll down to groups and remove them from the site-admin group (or any other groups that seem to be admin)

THEN after they are removed from the group you can revoke their access or whatever.

Thanks @Todd Empcke . This worked :)

Hi, 

I cannot remove the organisation administrator from the site-admins group, that option is greyed out for me

Can you please help?

Hello please help.

This user is a organization administrator, and their privileges cannot be modified.

I want to remove unwanted users?

Thanks

Hi @Satbir Kaur  and @John Hitge

This is expected when the user is also an org admin, so if you are also an org admin, you need to go to admin.atlassian.com > Click on the organization > Settings > Administrators > Remove the admin. After that, you will be able to remove them from the site-admin group or delete their accounts.

If you are only a site-admin, then you need to ask an org admin to remove them from the organization and then you can remove groups or delete the account.

Regards,
Angélica

Hi Angelica, the reason I cannot remove an org & site admin is because of my access and permissions. 

My request is: 

Primary Technical contact should be changed to Davida Eaves as Tim is no longer an employee of CSG.

Davida and I should have Org and Site Admin access as well.

This is approved by Selina who is the primary contact in my email to Ahmad Syauqi Shohaimi <jirastudio-support-system@atlassian.com>

Regards, 

Satbir Kaur 

If you are not an admin there is not much you can do.

This has nothing to do with atlassian however each employee should have an email with the companies primary domain so that when an employee leaves you can reset their email password and use forgot-password features to gain access to things they previously controlled.  I am CIO where I work now, and that is how I gained access to much of what my predecessor had access to.  You use their account to grant privileges to your account, and then your account to remove their access.

If that is not an option for you the only thing I can suggest is contacting atlassian support.  They are responsive and helpful in my experience.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked in Atlassian Access

AMA: Cloud Identity & Security with Dave Meyer, Group Product Manager

Update: That's a wrap! Thanks so much for your questions. If you didn't make it for the live AMA, not to worry. Add your questions below and I will get to them ASAP.  Hello Atlassian Community...

1,671 views 15 9
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you