Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure SSO without impacting existing users

Ben Penney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2023

Hi,

From the instructions for setting up SSO it seems that only users added to the new authentication policy that enforces SSO will be impacted. I would assume from this that all existing users would be able to log on with their existing Atlassian usernames and passwords and I can assign SSO to just a single test account?

If that is true, why does Atlassian imply that configuring SSO will cause downtime for all users while you configure it?

I would like to have existing users remain on their current login and migrate users individually to SSO over time.

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2023

@Ben Penney

As long as you restrict your Authentication policy with SSO enabled, it should not impact other users outside of the authentication policy.

What documentation are you referring to that indicates all users will experience down time?

Thanks,

Kian

Ben Penney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2023

It is stated on the documentation here,
Configure SAML single sign-on with an identity provider | Atlassian Support

"Plan for downtime to set up and test your SAML configuration"

And when you go to add a SAML provider it states,

Before you begin

Before you set up SAML single sign-on, we recommend you:

• Plan for downtime to set up and test your SAML configuration
  • Let your users know they won't be able to log in to Atlassian products while you're doing the set up
Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events