How can I best track non-functional requirements in JIRA/Greenhopper OnDemand on my agile project?

I am considering moving my product backlog into JIRA/Greenhopper OnDemand. How have people used JIRA to track non-functional requirements? How have they linked them to user stories, if at all?

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Non-functional requirements also should come in product backlog as stories. If you just refer the Scrum Primer by Craig Larman, it states the following.

Product Backlog Item

Functional requirements, non-functional requirements, and issues, prioritized in order of

importance to the business and dependencies and estimated. The precision of the estimate

depends on the priority and granularity of the Product Backlog item, with the highest priority

items that may be selected in the next Sprint being very granular and precise.

In that sense they are also just another story in Jira, right?

Sure - my concern was that NFRs are not typically work items that are scheduled into a Sprint for development, many are underlying principles that drive how other stories are implemented. But just spoke to our resident Agile guru and he agreed that a good way was just to have them in as stories but colour-coded and deprioritised so that they're always there to be seen be everyone but don't actually get scheduled into sprints if it's not appropriate. Thanks.

Yeah, and it also lies in the hands of the Product Owner while doing Sprint Planning one sessions to keep reminding the teams not to forget these non-functional requirements everytime they do thier story implementation in their sprints.

Some weeks ago I read something interesting about this topic: non-functional requirements are only requirements for which the main stakeholder is not identified yet. ;)

As Renjith mentioned before, you can handle them as normal requirement. An alternativ would be, to create a new issue type for this type of requirements. if you have a lot of non-functional requirements which are related to the normal user stories, I personally prefer to see them as acceptance criteria: e.g. the response time of x should be under 10 seconds.

Thanks for this. Hm. In my case I know who the stakeholders for the non-functional requirements are :)

I like the idea of a different issue type - may do that.

Agree that in reality NFRs are often acceptance criteria for functional stories, I do want to keep them as a list of entities in their own right rather than buried in other stories - in case they get forgotten when new stories are added, for example.

What should one do if there are multiple projects / backlogs which share certain non-functional requirements? Copy & paste them from one backlog to the others?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Aug 06, 2018 in Agile

Boosting team's visibility with ScriptRunner like a boss

Just like almost every team here we are struggling with visibility both internal and external each day. I want to share a short story about how we have improved the internal part by a great deal and ...

350 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you