Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add Task to the issue type hierarchy for Jira Plans?

Stefanie Merkel March 5, 2024

The help article (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-the-issue-type-hierarchy/) states that "By default, Jira is set up with 3 levels of issue type hierarchy: Epic (level 1), Story (level 0) and Sub-Task (level -1). You can modify these levels to better reflect how your teams work.". I would like to replace "Story" with "Task". We're not using stories on this board. Our hierarchy is Initiative > Epic > Task > Sub-task.

Ultimately, when I select "Create issue" link on the top of Jira Plans board, I would like Task to be an option. I think this limitation above is preventing me from doing this. Any ideas how to set this up?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2024

Task is on the same level as Story and you should be able to select it as long as the project have task added as an option in its issue type scheme.

What you see when clicking on the Create issue in a plan is the Level name, not the issue type name. Once you click on Story for example you have the option to select the issue type that associated with the that level.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 11.14.13 AM.png

Thank you!

0 votes

Issue resolved. Once you select Story. Go to the row that has been inserted in the Jira Plans listing and select the first icon. It should give you options for Bug or Task (or others depending on your setup). For my situation, I will change it to Task and give it a name. Then it will save as a Task.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events