Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teams in Advanced Roadmaps: What's changing, and what you need to know

135 comments

Kai Rödiger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 17, 2023

How exactly do the Shared Teams differ from the teams you can setup e.g. in Atlas? Shouldn't they be the same?

Puneet Sabharwal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 25, 2023

Hi - the change came through to our JIRA cloud version yesterday. And things aren't looking great at the moment. " main problems I see for now:

- All my easyBI dashboards are now showing duplicate Team names for some (not all, which is weird). For ex: A team name was earlier xyz is not showing up as xyz (5) - where 5 was the Team ID OR xyz (bxxxxxe-4xxf-4xx9-axxa-1xxxxxxxxx4-xx) which is the Team UUID!

- JQL quesries which were stored as Team ID no longer work and has to be replaced with Team UUID, which is painful as you could rememebr teh Team ID, but not the UUID!

Help!

Like # people like this
Vlad T
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 25, 2023

Hello,

To many vanilla-like or 'oh my god it's soooooo good" comments.

Actually, this is completely weird change we'll prefer to avoid.

For small funny teams - it can be useful maybe.

However, in big Enterprise we use AR Teams field with STRICT NAMING CONVENTION policy, allowing only AR privileged users to create such Teams. Based on these Teams majority of our boards is based.

We are not using Custom Fields Team - because we cannot provide to AR privileged users Jira Admin rights to manage Custom fields

On Triage sessions Team field is populated based on the understanding to which Team the ticket should be assigned, having 100+ Teams in AR to survive you should use some prefixes or something to not to drown in chaos.

And now you, Atlassian, want to sell me that useless Teams from the top banner, where any users will be able to create new Teams with Any names they want will bring value? Unfortunately it will bring chaos. 

We want to to vote for making this feature optional as well as to have option to disable\enable Teams from banner at all.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2023

@Puneet Sabharwal 

eazyBI has recently deployed a fix to address the changed team IDs. Please try to empty the cube in your eazyBI account and run the full data re-import. Contact eazyBI support if you have further questions.

Kindly,

Janis, eazyBI support 

Like # people like this
Andrew Gallagher August 28, 2023

While this is a long overdue feature, you must NEVER roll out a breaking change like this again:

1. Because this feature did not exist before, we had been manually synchronising Jira Teams with Advanced Roadmap Teams.

2. You gave us no advance warning that this was going to happen (I only discovered this blog post today, after the fact)

3. We now have two of everything and will have to manually clean up the mess that you silently created.

I haven't even *begun* to look into the JQL issues identified by Puneet above...

Gregory Kremer August 28, 2023

The Team field changes you've recently implemented is a complete disaster. It caused nothing but pain to our organization. Users can't execute JQL queries unless they know specific team ID, because Jira stoped providing "suggestions" when users type team names. Duplicate team names started to appear in the Team drop-down field as a combination of ARM and Team tool. So far I see nothing but trouble, instead of the promised benefits. Can you please make this implementation optional, instead of rolling it out to all organizations? We also need to limit Team creation to Jira admins. In short, this change wasn't well thought through and needs to be rolled back!!!!

Like # people like this
Dawn Rodney August 28, 2023

I believe I found a bug in the new Teams workflow. I created a new Team, but didn't add myself because technically I'm not part of the team, however, I am unable to manage the new Team I just created. I am unable to add/remove/change settings, etc. Any ideas on how to resolve this without having to request to be added to the new team I just created?

Like Alexandre Krammel likes this
Alexandre Krammel August 28, 2023

@Dawn Rodney good point, seems to be an undesirable side effect.

I have Team which were "Migrated from Advanced Roadmaps site" by Atlassian, and I was not a member of the Team, but I was the one to add/remove members of it for Advanced Roadmaps purpose, mainly for Auto-Scheduling.

Now I am not able to manage such teams, since I am not a member of them. 

@Rhys Christian You have urgently to bring to Teams Management, some features present on Advanced Roadmaps Shared Teams:

• Add/Remove members, without been a Team Member (= have a Team owner like there is a Project owner)
  • Select which Teams can be associated to the Teams Field, or limit Teams creation based on Jira Global Permissions. 
Like # people like this
Chris Tetzlaff August 29, 2023

@Rhys Christian Confusing roll-out situation:  (We have one site associated to our org-license.) 

Under Teams I see the AR Teams have been migrated (have the AR header image and state "Migrated from the {instance name} Advanced Roadmaps site.".

Announcement states the top header tab name changes to People with Teams an option underneath it, "navigate to the Teams page (People tab > See all people and teams)".  We have TEAMS vs. PEOPLE tab in the top header, with closest option reading "Search people and teams"

Has the new Teams been rolled out to our instance? If not, what state are we in and when will roll out be completed?  

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2023

@Chris Tetzlaff - That is the correct option. Apologies for the confusion, we've updated this article with the latest in-product copy.

You're seeing messaging that the teams have migrated from an Advanced Roadmaps site, so this should be rolled-out to you. The "Plan" dropdown in the Jira header should also no longer have navigation to "Shared teams" which additionally confirms it has rolled out for your instance.

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2023

@Dawn Rodney - Thanks for reaching out about this. There is a known bug with JQL that it doesn't show suggestions during migration. If this is occurring for you then it would suggest the migration isn't yet complete.

It should automatically be fixed once the migration completes which could take hours to a couple of days. If the problem persists longer than this then please let us know.

C_ Dicker September 5, 2023

@Eirik Aune As I understand, this feature is missing and gather interest here: [JRACLOUD-81400] Add support for membersOf JQL function for Teams - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Is that, what you are looking for?

My team also really needs this feature for efficient implementation of Filters!

Like # people like this
Steve Goodwin September 6, 2023

This is great. Thanks.... But, we could really use a role as well. Even if it was just a free-form text field, anything, so we could differentiate who's serving in what roles on which teams.

Like # people like this
Sari Kachorovsky September 14, 2023

@Rhys Christian HI, This caught me by surprise, T"L just informed me that he sees duplications teams. Trying to solve this according to your article but I can't find the option to edit an existing team like I had previously as an admin and not the option to delete. Need some assistance here. Thanks!

David Hiatt - Network September 18, 2023

Trying to even understand if this is in place now everywhere or still pending?  I don't see a lot of different behavior, maybe I'm missing it.  For example, a Team must be created as a 'shared' team in plans (advanced roadmaps) or updated to a 'shared' team at that level before the Team value is even available to use in the 'Team' field at the issue level directly in Jira.  Is that right and by design?  I caution against shared teams often as we're trying to get closer to dedicated teams.  

Małgorzata Adamska-Piotrowska September 20, 2023

What happens with the permissions to manage teams? Is there any change from Advanced Roadmaps permissions?

Gregory Kremer September 20, 2023

@Małgorzata Adamska-Piotrowska Yes, now everyone woth Jira access can create a team, which screws up everything. I was hoping that this change will unlock the Team field, but it didn't. What it did is, it has  created so many problems that we keep fighting them every day. It was a horrible idea.

Like # people like this
Etai Leers September 20, 2023

@Rhys Christian , please add an option to determine which users can create/change/delete teams.
I would like only site admins / Jira administrators / specific user groups with the desired role to be able to perform the following. 

Like # people like this
Matias Bolyos October 27, 2023

Does this mean that the Team field will finally be available in gadgets and reports?

Like Paul McNally likes this
Joni Johnson November 3, 2023

This change has been applied to our sandbox. The shared teams that were setup did not migrate to teams as I expected. I'm not sure if I didn't have the teams setup correctly or if there was an unexpected issue with the migration. I have submitted a support request for this because I want to make sure my production setup is correct and the migration will occur.

Paul Juarez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 6, 2023

@Rhys Christian Is there any way at all to limit or control who can create these teams now? Ever since this was rolled out for my organization it has caused issues with searching as anyone is allowed to just create a random team in most cases duplicates. 

Is there a way to limit who can create teams? 

On a issue the drop down now contains every team created including all random teams that shouldn't have been created as options. 

Is there a way to limit the options that appear in the team field? 

Like # people like this
Troy Cope November 19, 2023

This has recently been updated / available in our JIRA site.... What I'm finding is that people are now creating their own teams when there is not a need to. In some cases creating duplicates because they can't find the Team after migration from AR.... is there a way to restrict the 'create' Team to JIRA Admins only? @Rhys Christian 

Like # people like this
Darrel Jackson November 28, 2023

I am still not seeing this coming through for our site. We did all this preparation and user comms and now the rollout seems to have stopped.

Can I please get an ETA for the rollout to our site?

Like Rachael Williams likes this
Darrel Jackson December 3, 2023

Ok, ours is rolled out now.

Etai Leers December 24, 2023

@Rhys Christian Can you please share your perspective regarding my comment from the 20.9 ?

Like NatasjaP likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events