Run rule only if issue doesn't have linked issues?

lebigot June 28, 2021

I need to use Jira Automation and run a rule, but only on issues that do not yet have "depends on" links.

I tried various combinations of the settings for Condition, and looked for some systematic documentation on this, to no avail.

Can the following (which doesn't work) be tweaked so as to only run the rules on issues that do not yet have any "depends on" link?

a.png

Or should something completely different be done?

Any help would be much appreciated (pointers to any kind of clear and systematic documentation, etc.)!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2021

Hi @lebigot 

You note that the condition "doesn't work".  What exactly is happening?  And, for a case where you expect the rule to work, please post an image of the audit log details.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

lebigot July 7, 2021

Thanks for the followup.

The condition works as if it didn't exist.

The Audit indeed reads:

Related issue condition:

The following issues passed:

DND-123

The goal is that issues with linked issues should instead block (so that I don't create new linked issues).

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

I have had limited success for such tests with the related issues condition unless I explicitly stated the JQL.  

So you could try that with related issues, or use LookupIssues with JQL and check the return count greater than zero.  The JQL would be something like:

project = myProject
AND (issueLinkType NOT IN ("depends on")
OR issueLinkType IS EMPTY)
Like lebigot likes this
lebigot August 26, 2021

This works much better than the built-in filter indeed. Thanks!

Side note: issueLinkType IS EMPTY is not accepted by my version and more generally doesn't seem to really work (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72795, https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JQL-query-where-tickets-DO-NOT-match-an-issueLinkType-in-Jira/qaq-p/1228220).

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events