Where is a Good Place to Start for Someone Just Starting with Confluence,

Brandon Houmand December 16, 2021

My service team is looking to build an internal knowledge base for our team.  I have been tasked with my Manager to help put that together.  Where would be a good starting point before jumping in?  Atlassian Univerisity Courses?  Jump right In?  

I  am looking for any and all suggestions.  Thanks.

5 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hi @Brandon Houmand,

Welcome to the Community!

You can't go wrong starting with the University.  In fact for what you have suggested you are looking at I'd recommend starting with these two free courses:

Confluence Fundamentals

Using Confluence for Documentation and Knowledge Bases

As you start diving into those courses and have questions come back to the New to Confluence group here on the Community and ask any questions you have.

There are tons of friendly people that will be happy to help!

-Jimmy

Like # people like this
Nicola Mustari December 16, 2021

Mr. Houmand,

Really there are many ways you can tackle this. I would use the classes as a fundamental understanding of the product and the best piece of advice would be to see how other organizations have structured their confluence. There are many “open” confluence instances to explore. The more you plan in the begging the better your end product would be.

Be sure to keep in mind scaling as you begin to build. It’s much easier to approach with a plan laid out than to just start throwing documents in.

Points to consider:

Are you going to link this to a JSM project in the future?

Who is your target audience?

Will this open to others at your organization?

These are important questions to think about before you start just building. They will play a key role in how you design. Here are two additional courses to the ones suggested above that could be of some value. 

Good Luck!

Like # people like this
Brandon Houmand January 4, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to provide your input!

Steffen Burzlaff _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2021

Hi @Brandon Houmand

besides the resources Jimmy already mentioned, you can also check out the Confluence Best Practices series from my team K15t on YouTube and/or the written guide on Rock the Docs.

Currently we're also running an advent calendar which contains a short Confluence tip/how-to behind each door.

Stay safe & Cheers,
Steffen

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

@Brandon Houmand Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have noticed that @Jimmy Seddon and other members here have already put you on the right path to start learning about Confluence for Knowledge base management.

Just make sure you decide the right Space type/template in Confluence for creating a knowledge base and the right page types/templates for creating different types of Knowledge Base articles in that Space. A good practice is to label you KB articles with relevant page labels that make them easier to search based on the these labels for anybody in your team or customers of your IT service desk in case you want to link your Knowledge Base to one in the future.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

@Brandon Houmand Welcome to the Community!

Like Brandon Houmand likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2022

Hello @Brandon Houmand  and welcome to the Atlassian community!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events