Welcome Wednesday: Ask Me Anything with Dave Liao

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

via GIPHY

Back by popular demand, we are putting another Community Leader in the "Hot Seat"!

This week @Dave Liao has volunteered to answer all of your questions. 

TF60XJPDK-U019W196M6Y-93acccf62c13-512.jpg

Remember no question is off limits, but Dave reserves the right to refuse to answer questions from @Fun Man Andy ;)

I'll get things started: Dave, I know you are a big fan of coffee.  Where is your favorite place to get coffee? and what is your favorite order?

In addition to that, if you ask your question before the session Erica & I are hosting tomorrow (2pm EDT), you will be entered in a raffle for one of five $25 gift cards.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

14 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

A big hearty welcome to all the folks tagged in this post!

...and to the folks NOT tagged in this post, you know who you are! Don't be shy, go ahead and make an account today. ⚡

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Thanks for setting up to the plate @Dave Liao !!

What's your biggest enjoyment about living in the city? And if need be, elaborate. For instance if it is food or restaurants, then wee need some examples.  :-)

And what's the biggest drawback for you? 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

Hey Dave ^^^

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

@John Funk - whooooops, totally missed this! This must've been in the spam filter or something. 😆

My favorite part about living in NYC? Having access to reasonable public transportation. I've always loved the subway (even with its pizza rats and sometimes delays), and now I really like the buses (which I didn't try until I moved here).

Bonus: Oh, and being able to ferry from place to place is nice. ⛵🚢

Kristján Geir Mathiesen October 20, 2021

Excellent @Jimmy Seddon !

Ok @Dave Liao , how many "phones" have owned in your lifetime? And how many do you currently own?

:)

KGM

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen - Síðdegis, Kristjan!

I've owned more than 40 phones! That said, phones used to be relatively inexpensive (as I'm sure you know). I bought a Palm Pre for $200 back then.

Right now I own two phones - and one is broken.

• some Android phone that isn't worth mentioning, and
  • an F(x)tec Pro1 keyboarded smartphone (screen is broken, and the vendor is sending me a new screen... eventually)

On the bright side, I've got two phones coming in the post:

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

p.s. that's a Surface Duo 1 in the article's photo - and Jira Cloud is optimized for the dual display.

Like # people like this

You da foneman @Dave Liao ! That is awesome.

@Dave Liao  and I love the síðdegis part :)

Amish Solanki October 20, 2021

Viewing PDF. Why was this functionality removed (security has been mentioned in another post, but I still fail to understand why now??). This was a major reason for using Trello and as per posts in your support section, a big feature for other users now. Will this be added back?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Amish Solanki - I feel your pain, and I've been reading about that on the Trello section of Community!

I'd reach out to Trello directly, or add your feedback to the Trello section I linked above.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon , thanks for your post!

Dave is one of the community leaders whom I have had the pleasure of meeting personally when we both were working for Cprime.

Since it has been a long time I haven't noticed much activity from Dave in the Community (until I am missing something), so my question from @Dave Liao is simple:

Where have you been for so long, Dave? or What kept you busy recently? :-)

@Jimmy Seddon I wish $25 gift card could be on first-come-first-serve basis! 🙂

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Taranjeet Singh - hey Taranjeet! You were one of the first Cprimers I met! 💪 Again, glad to see you on Community.

I've been busy with my day job, but also I'm on the Jira subreddit (most recently on this Reddit post) and on Atlassian Developer Community because - like potato chips - you can't just have just one community! 😅

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 20, 2021

@Taranjeet Singh I don't think first-come-first-served would be fair because community members are in many different time zones. I mean I like hanging out here but I'm not gonna wake up at three in the morning just to post :þ 

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

I can feel you, @Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck ! No worries, it was just a wish :-) and not all wishes come true!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon - my favorite spot to get coffee? I can't just pick one... and to be inclusive, I'll just name my regional favorites. Bonus points if you (or anyone reading this post) have been to any:

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

I have not been to any of those cities, but I now have advanced intel on where to get great coffee!  Thanks Dave!

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

What about your favorite local pizza place @Dave Liao ?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Hmm...  my standby for a quality slice is Pizza Suprema, right near NYC's Penn Station! 🍕

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

@Dave Liao  I'll have to try that when I am "next in town" !

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 20, 2021

@Dave Liao What kind of music do you like?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Music you can hack to? ⚡

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

@Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck - exaaaaactly!

I end up listening to more chillstep, now that I think of it.

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 21, 2021

I have no idea what that is but I will definitely check it out. :) Though I am more of a goth country/steam punk/victorian new wave kind of person :þ

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

@Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck - I guess chillstep is low-key dubstep?

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Dhp2GsWCY

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 21, 2021

That's pretty cool. Very chill. It would never work for me on its own though. Fifteen seconds in an my brain was like a kid on a road trip. "When is it going to start picking up? Now? Are we there yet? No? How about now? Are we there yet?" :þ I would probably need to have work AND the TV on along with it. I'd most likely rather go for the brutal hardstyle my husband listens to if I was in the mood for tech music :þ ★ AGGRESSIVE BRUTAL HARDSTYLE ★ - YouTube

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

For working, I find that videogame soundtracks work too - I love classic NES soundtracks!

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 22, 2021

Cool. For video game sound tracks Grim Fandango would always be my first choice. :) Second, Little Big Planet, and third Pit People. :þ

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

Grim Fandango's soundtrack is amazing!

Tucker Jorgensen October 20, 2021

@Dave Liao 

1, Open-ended question here. Can you tell us about your cats? :) 

2, What's your favorite visual collaboration suite (thinking digital whiteboarding and diagraming), and have you tried that fancy tablet of yours with it? 

3, (Are 3 questions allowed?) Have you been in any hybrid meetings lately? They are weird. haha. It's like we know how to work in an office, we know how to work with everyone in Zoom, but doing it half and half get's weird. In the 6-years, I've been selling Lucid, I've never once talked about hardware. This year I'm talking with IT leaders about hybrid work and all of a sudden I'm hearing about affordable tablets (waycom) for at-home use, Zoom rooms, etc.  Is this stuff coming up with Atlassian users wanting to access content in hybrid meetings? Shameless plug, the Lucidspark Jira Cards integration sure is neat for hybrid teams. ;) 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

@Tucker Jorgensen - howdy Tucker! 👋

1. I've got zero cats, but I cat-sit and visit my friends's cats. 😹

2. For diagramming, Lucidchart is my jam. 😉

Group whiteboarding? I don't have a favorite tool yet. I've used at least three whiteboarding tools - including Lucidspark - and I think they're too complex for practical use. Part of the problem? The workstation interfaces we're saddled with. If I had actual whiteboarding hardware (you know, wall-mounted cash-money hardware), that would improve my experience magically.

I'm hoping virtual collaboration spaces like Skittish integrate visual collaboration tools in some way soon.

Had to mention Skittish - it's an audio-first space, and pretty nifty. I want to try that for a virtual happy hour, or maybe a networking event. (Or are they the same thing?)

3. Jira Caaaards! I'm happy you support Jira Data Center. 💪

I've been doing hybrid meetings since before the pandemic, and starting to do them more again - more of my associates worldwide are returning to offices! - so it's been interesting to handle the complexity of remote and in-person group attendees.

Like # people like this
Austin Catmull October 22, 2021

Great insights, Dave! I'll have to check out Skittish. It sounds interesting!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

@Austin Catmull - it's free to experiment with - could be interesting to use in certain situations? I do like that you can kerplunk a video (video embed) in the virtual space, then as your avatar approaches it, the volume goes up. As you walk away, the sound fades. 

And good to see you on Atlassian Community! TGIF ⚡

Like # people like this
Alexandr Karlin October 21, 2021

@Dave Liao what do you think about new Dune movie?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

@Alexandr Karlin - I haven't yet read the original books, and I barely remember the original movie! Looks interesting...

Alexandr Karlin October 22, 2021

you should try the books if you are a sci-fi fan - the Dune lore is one of the most detailed :)

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

I'll have to dust off my "Books to Read" list - it's as sad as my "TV Shows/Movies to Watch" list!

Like Alexandr Karlin likes this
Austin Catmull October 22, 2021

@Alexandr Karlin I'm excited to watch the new movie this weekend. Looks interesting!

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

Hey, @Dave Liao I have a couple of questions for you (feel free to take them one at a time, when you have time)...

1. Not so long ago you got to hang out and have beers with the NYC ACE leaders (kinda looked like you guys were brown-bagging it in some NYC park).  I love that you did that!  Can you say a few words about the value of getting to know your local ACE leaders from the ACE member perspective?
  2. I happen to know that in your day job, you think about things like how to best introduce and onboard users when new Atlassian Marketplace apps are added to the Atlassian stack.  Any words of wisdom you care to share with the community?

Look forward to hearing your insights.  Thanks!

-dave 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

@Dave Rosenlund - hello fellow Dave! 🍻

1. As an ACE member, one of the biggest benefits of joining an ACE is getting to meet other ACE members, and ACE leaders. It's who you know as much as what you know. Plus beers are always more fun with more people! Generally-speaking, ACE leaders tend to be even more enthusiastic about Atlassian products and making social connections than your average person. 😉
  2. An oldie but a goodie: have (or make) a change management process. At a minimum, inform folks about the change/addition (with advance notice), and have documentation about the change/addition (why the change/addition is being made, focusing on benefits and how to handle any needed changes in business flow). 
Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

Hello Everyone!

First, let's all give @Dave Liao for being a wonderful host and answering all your questions!  I think he did a fantastic job!

Second, it's the moment you have all been waiting for:

@John Funk @Kristján Geir Mathiesen @Taranjeet Singh @Tucker Jorgensen @Alexandr Karlin 

You all should expect to see an email from @Erica Moss very soon with your $25 gift card!

Congratulations to the winners!  Thank you all for participating.  Stay tuned, I believe we may have another one of these next month!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2021

And big thanks to you, @Jimmy Seddon  for putting these on. You do a great job and so much fun to see all the participation! Congrats to all the winners.

giphy

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2021

I sure hope a winner gifts me a coffee with their winnings! #shameless

@Jimmy Seddon - thanks for involving me this week! It got me to exercise a little creative writing, and gives me some article ideas that hopefully will see life before the end of the year. 😆

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2021

Thanks for organizing this AMA session, @Jimmy Seddon and @Erica Finley ! Thanks for being a great host, @Dave Liao !

Congrats to all the winners.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

WOOHOOO!! Thank you!!!

And especially thanks to Dave to being willing to be in the hot seat!

Like # people like this
Tucker Jorgensen October 25, 2021

Thank you for putting this together and for the prize! I think I'll be more active with things like this. Great conversation.  

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2021

@Dave Liao : took me a long time to come up with a question that would be neither needed vito'd by yourself or a full on "FMAudit" by Atlassian Community management... but it's a GOOD one:

For me your selfies are legendary! From poses with old fashioned tech (yes, all Blackberry devices are old, YEET!) to epic coffee moments. They are truly great.
It seems to be in the composition... the pose, the facial expression, the focus on item in your hand, and more!

How did you come to be such an AMAZABALLZ selfie master?
Any top tips for us n00bs?

📱☕📸🤳

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

@Fun Man Andy - whoa, I totally missed this.

I became good at selfies before selfies was a word!

Back then, camera equipment was (more) expensive. I wanted a photo taken, so I handed someone my camera - as they went to hand it back to me, they dropped it and broke it! From that moment, on, I learned how to take selfies.

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

You da man.. word!

OMGosh... 😱 that story is as much legendary as it his heartbreaking!
That incident is actually worse than them running off and nicking it! 😳

Must have been fate though. The world is now much better off thanks to it! #SelfieMaster ❤️

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon love this!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events