Three Things I Wish I'd Known: Jodi LeBlanc

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2018

I have been an Atlassian Community member for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. I sure wish this series existed back when I started, as it took me some time to move from lurker to contributor, as I didn't know what I didn't know. I am still learning every day, but fully enjoying the experience - I have learned a tonne, and connected with some amazing people. Here are three things I wish I'd known when I first joined the community:

1) Don't be intimidated by the Atlassian Community login screen stats

IMG_4176.jpg

Where I am from there is a population of 145,000 people for the whole Island, so seeing those numbers jump out at me when logging into my account for the first time was intimidating, with 2,452,318+ members. As large as the community is, it doesn't feel that large or overwhelming once you dive in. It has a small community feel the way it is structured and organized.

diver.jpg

Take advantage of the Welcome Center. This didn't exist when I was a new member, but I wish it did! What a gem of a resource for new members to the community. Think of it as the shallow part of the ocean where we learn to scuba dive before we venture into the rest of the limitless depths. With a manageable number of discussions (300 posts), and a nice size group of individuals (339+) to engage and connect with as you navigate the community. Learning together, in my opinion, is so much more enjoyable. 

The "Welcome Watercooler - say hello" is a great post to get started.

water cooler.jpg

2) Earn badges for your engagement efforts
As mentioned, when I first joined the community, I looked around and lurked on posts. Then life got busy, and time passed and I still didn't make my first post. What finally worked for me is I scheduled time each day to read an article, comment or like a post, ask and/or respond to a question.

I love the Atlassian Community badges, especially the monthly ones. It helps add an additional incentive to be active in the community if you know you will earn a badge for your efforts. Gamification at its best. Here is a link on "How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community". If you are anything like me, once you earn a few badges, you will want to see your badge collection continue to grow on your user profile.

IMG_4178.jpgIMG_4179.jpg

3) As busy as you are, make time for fun
The community is a fantastic platform to learn from others and find answers that can help you be more efficient and productive in your work, but don't forget to have some fun as well. That's where the community magic happens where you get to know others from all over the world, and find out you have more than one common interest (not just your love of Atlassian products).

fun.jpg

Check out the miscellaneous-monday, friday-fun, and off-topic tags to brighten your day and take a little break from your work to recharge your energy.

I look forward to connecting with you all, I hope my tips resonate with you. I wish my time machine was working so I could go back to when I was a new community member and implement all the helpful tips shared by community members and champions the past couple of months for tuesday-tips. This three-things weekly series would have helped me immensely! I hope you will enjoy this community as much as I do.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and cheers to 2019!

21 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2018

@Jodi LeBlanc, thanks for sharing. Some great input for all Community members not just newbies.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2018

Thanks for your kind words @Jack Brickey - means so much :)

Atiq Ahmed May 29, 2020

awesome! Thanks for sharing,

Like John Funk likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2018

Good article! And I know what you mean about the numbers. They are there to make an impact I imagine. They certainly surprise me as well

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks Matt, yes I agree, there is some definite shock value/impact with those massive numbers :)

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2018

Great article! Certainly good input for all in the community. Number 3 is important for sure to have some fun while on here!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks @Bryan Trummer - I try to include some fun in every part of my day, makes such a difference :)

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 18, 2018

Thanks for your insight, Jodi! I love reading these tips & tricks as I find them helpful for myself. :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

Thanks @Cassie Mayes - your kind words means so much :) Glad you found the tips useful!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2018

What a wonderfully written article @Jodi LeBlanc. Really reminds me of when I first started using Community more expansively so I can relate big time!

PS: Have looked up your beautiful island.... what a great flag it has! 🌟🚩🏳
Nice solid Coat of Arms too.🐲🎖

Here's my favourite fact though:
"The backbone of the economy is farming; it produces 25% of Canada's potatoes" 

POtato.jpg

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

Thanks so much @Andy - PTC Redundant - you should consider writing one too based on your experience when you first joined :) Love that you looked up my little Island, yes it really is quite beautiful here, especially in summer surrounded by red and white sandy beaches. Yes we love our spuds, and apparently the iron in our red soil is good for their growth!  PEI mussels are also a big industry, almost every restaurant I have been to in Canada serves PEI mussels. LOL that dancing potato should be our Island mascot - so cute :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

Welcome @Jodi LeBlanc
I would love to write one. It's a tough challenge though. So many great ones already exist, it's hard to say something new !
It sounds awesome... you also have plenty of breweries. Major win in my book!
I love this abbreviation.... PEI. You guys have some great personal branding ! !
PEI mussels just went into the bucket list, as did all the beers your breweries have to offer.
I always eat Mussels with Belgium Fries and Mayo.... what does PEI have to offer in terms of potato fries and condiments!? :oD
I can make you a Dancing Potato picture holding the PEI flag if you like ! ! :oD

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

@Andy - PTC Redundant I agree Andy, there has been so many great tips shared over the few months, I didn't want to duplicate either. I did duplicate the 3rd one "have fun" but tried to give different info on it.

Yes lots of breweries, and the pace of life is lovely. LOL yes the acronym throws people off from time to time.  Awesome, now you have a friend in PEI, if you get to visit let me know and we can meet up for beer, mussels and PEI french fries. Many do chipotle mayo here to dip their fries. McCains and Cavendish Farms fries are the big names, but there are some new organic farmers on the market. You also will need to try cow chips. and Cow's Ice Cream. I would love to see the dancing potato holding the PEI flag, I could submit to Tourism PEI and you may get famous from it! :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2018

Great response @Jodi LeBlanc - give me a few days to fully respond please... it'll be worth the wait ! 🤩

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2018

Sounds perfect Andy, no rush for the dancing potato holding the PEI flag :)

Like # people like this
Nishanth Thimmareddy _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 26, 2018

Thanks, @Jodi LeBlanc for this. Helps a ton :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2018

Thanks so much for your kind words Nishanth, glad you found this helpful :)

Like # people like this
Karolina Lasoń [Deviniti]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 2, 2019

This piece is very helpful not only for new users but also for those who are used to the Atlassian Community. I'm here for more than 3 months already, and your article was a good reminder for me that there's nothing I should be worried about when it comes to the Community. Thanks, @Jodi LeBlanc.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2019

Hi @Karolina Lasoń [Deviniti] so wonderful to hear that you found my piece helpful, as a member of more than three months. You brightened my day with your comment.
Happy New Year to you!
Jodi

Kristine Garcia March 21, 2019

This is such a great read! I just joined the Atlassian Community a few days ago and this is definitely a good place to start. I’ve always been content at just being a “lurker” with other online communities, but thought that I should be brave this time around and not let myself be intimidated – that, and the badges are pretty awesome! Thank you @Jodi LeBlanc!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2019

@Kristine Garcia thanks for your kind words and welcome to the community! I am glad you are jumping right in and contributing already :) As for badges, check out the March badge, all you need is to get any badge on your profile this month and then post which one you received. Here is the link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-articles/March-monthly-challenge-badge-is-now-live/ba-p/1022382

Kristine Garcia March 22, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc Thank you for sharing, I will check it out! 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2019

Sounds great @Kristine Garcia - and keep an eye out for April badge - just a week away :)

Deleted user September 30, 2019

Great read, thank you Jodi. I'm originally form Halifax, in Calgary now. We're practically neighbors in relation to this massive yet intimate community!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2019

Wow that's awesome @[deleted] - yes I completely agree! Small world :)

Michael Hoffman October 22, 2019

Great article thanks for sharing.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

Thanks so much Michael, I am glad you found it useful :)

Michael Hoffman October 22, 2019

Thanks

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2019

Thanks @Michael Hoffman , I hope you found this useful.

Jodi

Brett Coster December 30, 2019

Great article Jodi. 

I have been lurking on these forums for years, never posting. Now is the time to give back to this wonderful community, I think.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2019

Welcome back @Brett Coster ! ! Hope you are ready for the addiction of participating to kick in! 😎

First step: AWESOME AUTHOR BADGE:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-articles/Awesome-Author-badge-now-live/ba-p/1238672

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2019

Thanks @Brett Coster that's awesome to hear, looking forward to your contributions to this amazing community :) 

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Great post! Thanks for sharing a busting a couple myths 🧨

Like Cassie Mayes likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2020

Thanks so much @Fernando Bordallo , I am glad you found the post useful :)

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Kezza January 17, 2020

I thought I was going to be your first "thank you for the great post" message of 2020 but I see @Fernando Bordallo  already has :) - as a newbie I found it really useful

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

Thanks for your kind words @Kezza I am glad you found my post helpful. Happy New Year to you! :)

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

I just did a quick comparison from the first point in my article. Wow look how much the community has grown one+ years after I posted this article. 

IMG_0002.jpg

Like # people like this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Great article, @Jodi LeBlanc!!! 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2020

Thanks so much @Veera :)

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
January 27, 2020

@Jodi LeBlanc 
Really nice article!!!!!!!!!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

Thanks @Shawn Kessler :)

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

@Jodi LeBlanc 

I was surfing and ended up here :)  Great right up Thank you. 

-Sri

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

Thanks so much @Sri Kumar :)

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

🙂👍

Cyndi Machaby April 1, 2020

Thank you very much!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2020

Thans Cyndi, I am glad you found it useful :)

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2020

Sorry, I just saw it late, but thanks for sharing this. I can relate to this!

Jacob Young
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2021

Great article here!

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Thanks for sharing @Jodi LeBlanc .

Nithin Balachandran
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Thanks for writing this! It's indeed a warm note. My two key takeaways from this are 

1) No matter how busy or stressed you are, make time for fun and something connecting to your purpose. For me, this community is the primary goto place for that.

2) Welcome watercooler post. I would have missed it otherwise.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

This is always timely and helpful!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events